BBQ Special- need last minute advice

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Jan 19, 2009.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I just ordered the BBQ special from McMurray. This is my first time with meat birds. I have been reading many many posts on many different sites. I have a 4' x8' brooder box that I partition when the chicks are small and increase to full size as they grow.

How long can 25 total Cornish X and Cornish Roasters live in a brooder this size before I relocate them outside.

I plan to offer feed 24 hours a day for the first two weeks and then 12 hours eating and 12 starving for the remainder.

I am looking for them to go about 8 weeks.

Any last minute advice, or things to watch out for? Thanks
    -Dan

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll be able to keep them in that until you move them outside, which I do at about 3 weeks, although that will depend on the temp. Keep your brooder as clean as you can- you don't need to change the chips every day, but stir them up a couple of times a day, then change them when stirring them up just isn't cutting it. Then, when they're in the tractor, move it as much as you can. Don't be afraid if a few die either.

3. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Watch out for "splay leg" which they get pretty often due to their super fast growth.
    What I have learned to do is put carpet down in the bottom of my brooder and then put wood shavings over that. When they are not slipping and sliding around the bottom of a box or plastic container they dont tend to splay out.
    I wouldn't put them outside until they have most all their feathers, but of course I live in Iowa and it is COLD COLD COLD here now!
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by