BBS Ameraucana Coloring: Very Dark Blue vs. Black

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PepsNick, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'm currently reading up on coloring genetics. I have a hard time telling these two apart. Is there anything in specific that I should look for in the coloring to help me? Thank you.

Nick

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The feather shaft should help. I believe the dark blues will have a blue shaft. I've had a very dark blue Orp that had me guessing forever till I found out about the feather shaft. Also, blues won't have the green sheen that a black does in the sunshine.

See this blue Orp boy who was Suede's brother? He looked positively black, but the shaft was blue and he had no sheen.

[​IMG]

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:I love that green sheen. I suspected that. Thanks, as always.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Very dark blues usually have a sort of variation to them too. . . Instead of having a solid coloration, you'll notice the shaft of the feather being lighter, you'll notice the head/neck of the bird darker than the rest, sometimes the body will have "patches" of light and dark, and the fluff lighter than the feathers themself. Also, they don't shine like blacks. It's not just the green sheen, but a shine in general.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by