BBS Orpingtons 7 weeks old boys or girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Little Cluckers, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Little Cluckers

Little Cluckers Keep Calm and Buy Chickens

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    #1:
    [​IMG]

#2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3:
    [​IMG]

And, who am I? Ideal snuck me in with some Rhode Island Reds--maybe red sex link?:

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, for just 7 weeks old, they all look male to me (not that last little Orp imposter, though--that one looks like a New Hampshire, maybe)

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I agree!

4. Little Cluckers

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Oh Drat!

New Hampshire--excellent!

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I agree that the orps all look like males, and I think the last pic is an EE, male at that.

6. speckledhen

The red chick has a single comb, no beard and black hackles, plus orangey color, which is why I said NH-had a couple of those myself. Could be a single-combed, beardless EE, sure, but it really resembles something else, IMO. As always, time will tell!

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:None of the NHRs I've seen from Ideal had black in the hackles or black around the eye, but my EEs all did.

To the op: The bird in the last pic, does it have a single comb? Because it looks pretty flat from what I can see.

8. speckledhen

The problem is that NHs vary wildly from hatchery to hatchery. Mine were orange and a friend's was deep chestnut with a good bit of black in the hackle area. I'm not saying I'm definitely right, of course! But most EEs do seem to have beards and some semblance of a pea or pea/single comb combo. Sure doesn't fit in with the Orps, does it? LOL. [​IMG]

9. Little Cluckers

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    single comb.

I've ordered many EEs from Ideal and none ever looked like this bird. They have all been brown or whites with beards.....

My guess is they were short on RIR when they packed my box and they threw in a subsitute red female chick.

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I'm guessing anything with a red comb and wattle at 7 weeks is a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by