SF Bay Area
#1:
38656_bbs_orp1.jpg

#2:
38656_bbs_orp2.jpg

38656_bbs_orp4.jpg

#3:
38656_bbs_orp3.jpg

And, who am I? Ideal snuck me in with some Rhode Island Reds--maybe red sex link?:

38656_mystery1.jpg

The red chick has a single comb, no beard and black hackles, plus orangey color, which is why I said NH-had a couple of those myself. Could be a single-combed, beardless EE, sure, but it really resembles something else, IMO. As always, time will tell!

Quote:
None of the NHRs I've seen from Ideal had black in the hackles or black around the eye, but my EEs all did.

To the op: The bird in the last pic, does it have a single comb? Because it looks pretty flat from what I can see.

The problem is that NHs vary wildly from hatchery to hatchery. Mine were orange and a friend's was deep chestnut with a good bit of black in the hackle area. I'm not saying I'm definitely right, of course! But most EEs do seem to have beards and some semblance of a pea or pea/single comb combo. Sure doesn't fit in with the Orps, does it? LOL.
smile.png

single comb.

I've ordered many EEs from Ideal and none ever looked like this bird. They have all been brown or whites with beards.....

My guess is they were short on RIR when they packed my box and they threw in a subsitute red female chick.

Back
Top Bottom