BBS ORPS Do new black and blue chicks look the same?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Hi need help. on this issue.
    .My first hatch of BBS orps.
    How do you tell a blue from a black new chick? Can you?
    I have been wanting splash and blue badly since last hatch from this breeder but bad bator and got only one chick a black which is a gorgous roo now ADORE him but still want the other colors so splurged got more eggs

Didnt intend to sell ANY... but someone desperate needs a chick hatched had just one 3 day ago wants one of mine for a friend...

I DO have another batch of the same eggs due next week.(long story)..so its ok to sell one now....
    BUT i am wanting to sell her a black as i have the older black already..
    Im hoping to get 4 chicks from this hatch..One is here ... a splash (YEA!! ) now 2 star pips... But how can i tell which to keep if they both look black or will a blue look dark grey or blue or smokey ?What?

Would be upset if i waited for 5 months to get the eggs I want a blue from ... and get a blue chick and then sell it accidentally then NOT get a blue next batch either. .... My Luck! LOL.
    Thanks for any help

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    You should not have a problem telling the colors apart, black is black, blue are much lighter, they look blue right away, even when still wet in the bator you can tell them apart.

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    OH GREAT..... THANKS SO MUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by