BBS Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PepsNick, Dec 5, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am new to the BBS and have recently gotten interested in them. I think that there should be a thread to post pictures and discuss our BBS. Anybody in?

I currently own no BBS chickens, but will hopefully (fingers crossed!) order some Blue Ameraucana hatching eggs the week of December 20th. I would also like a splash orpington pullet this Spring, maybe. Then two more blue ameraucana pullets in the Spring to go with my new flock, and one more big hatch of EE and Ameraucana (including blue) in June. What BBS do are you raising?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have BBS ameraucanas. I love that every hatch is a big surprise about what will come out. It is so much more fun that way!

Here are two from the last hatch-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I raise BBS Jersey Giants, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas. However I honestly have so many BBS birds in my flock I'm getting a little tired of the black, grey, white scene. . .

One thing I do find neat is the variations, which are interestingly genetic.

Dark blue Ameraucana

[​IMG]

Light blue Jersey Giant

[​IMG]

Light splash Jersey Giant

[​IMG]

"perfect" splash Araucana

[​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow, Illia! That last splash is just gorgeous! [​IMG]

That is one of the reasons I stay with the BBS line. I do love a good splash.
    I find the black hens kind of boring, but my black roosters are stinking GORGEOUS! They all have this incredible green iridescence that is stunning in the sunlight. Love it!

The blues are fun because of all the possible shades of blue. You are right- it is an really interesting genetic experiment. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah yes black..

This is why I love blacks, especially males, and why one should always be in a BBS flock:

[​IMG]

- and even a female on a cloudy day -

[​IMG]

They're so iridescent, they put on a lovely silhouette, and are often really good bases for improving the blue/splash bird's body type.

And of course, they're great for if you want to add Lavenders to your flock too. [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My hens aren't that green. Lovely!
    I had a couple of boys that were showing blue, green and lavender iridescence. I realize that they are not supposed to (for show purposes), but holy cow they looked like a freakin' stained glass window. They were sooooo pretty!

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wow, those are beautiful. I especially love the splash, and Illia, your first picture of the black hen is GORGEOUS! Oh, and I could go on ALL DAY about those giants... maybe I should get a few... [​IMG] Mental message to self: no, Nick, don't forget what they said in your chicken rehab class!

GITC- Cute chicks! I love them. Can't wait for my hatching eggs now!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The first black one is a cockerel. The second is a pullet/hen. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Right now I have OEGB in blue/black/splash; bantam cochins in blue/splash (no black--blue roo, splash hen); and blue silkies (splash roo, black hen). I have a few young splash silkies and a few blue silkies, so eventually I'll have a B/B/S pen, just not at this time. I think that's all my B/B/S. I've tried forever to get Ameraucanas in B/B/S but I either end up with a bunch of roosters or all black [​IMG]

OEGB:
    Splash hen:
    [​IMG]
    Splash cock:
    [​IMG]
    Splash hen:
    [​IMG]
    Splash hen:
    [​IMG]

Blue hen
    [​IMG]
    Blue cock (sun-bleached)
    [​IMG]

Black cock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bantam cochins:
    Pullet:
    [​IMG]
    Cockerel:
    [​IMG]

I only have a pic of the splash silkie roo, and it was when he was younger. The hen is broody atm, so I won't have a pic of her for a while [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a lot more blue and black OEGB, I just don't have pics of them right now [​IMG]

10. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:The first black one is a cockerel. The second is a pullet/hen. [​IMG]

I meant on your first post. [​IMG]

Shelly, those bantams are wonderful! I feel for you... hopefully you can get some ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by