BBW Egg Laying Problem

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by casportpony, Oct 14, 2012.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My 2011 model RP's and EW both had no egg laying issues this year, but my 2012 model BBW's have been laying those eggs without shells. They have access to oyster shell and laying pellets, but they don't seem to like it. Is there anything I can do?

Ravynscroft likes this.
  2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I never had this problem, but if I did, and I wanted my turkeys to eat something, I would just mix it into their feed. I started mt Holland Whites on BOSS and at first they did not take to it, but when it is mixed into their FF, they gobble it down. Boy, they have really put on the weight lately. They look like small, Emu, running around !

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What's BOSS and FF?

Ravynscroft likes this.
  4. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Boss I know is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. FF? I am not sure what that is.

5. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    FF is fermented feed. For chickens, I crush up some oyster shell, thaw out some frozen peas, soak them for a few seconds in water (just so the oyster shell will stick), then I roll the peas in the oyster shell and give to the chickens. You can probably substitute peas for their favorite treat :)

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I'm not sure what a BBW is but one of my batch of EE/Amauracana (sp?) just never laid a solid egg. The others all did and I gave them eggshells and oyster shells freely.We finally gave up and culled her because the shelless eggs were breaking and egg eating and mess were becoming a problem. It seems that she simply couldn't absorb the calcium. It could just be a genetic glitch.

7. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Fermented Feed and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Lol, there are way too many poultry acronyms! BBW is "broad breasted white". Maybe it is a genetic glitch... They sure were never meant to be egg layers I'm guessing. Here is a link with poultry acronyms that I just found:http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?12540-List-of-Chicken-Acronyms-for-Newbies

Ravynscroft likes this.
  9. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    BBW is Broad Breasted White, which is a turkey breed.
    With people, taking calcium requires you to also take vitamin D, for your body to absorb the calcium. I don't know if it is the same with poultry, but the addition of vitamin D increases the laying production in hens from 200 eggs a year to 300+ eggs a year, so I don't think it would hurt to try. [​IMG]

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Thanks, I think I'll give them some D and see if she improves.

Ravynscroft likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by