BBW Turkey vent area bleeding and swolen

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
Background:
I have 4 BBW turkeys I bought 3 days ago. They are almost all feathered so I believe them to be a few weeks old, but I am not sure of the age. They are currently in a brooder in the garage with no heat light because it is 75+ here at night and 90 in the day. Where they are in the garage gives them plenty of natural light, but they are kept in the shade through the entire day. I have to wait for DH to have time to help me build the more perminant 16x16 enclosure for them, That will probably be Sunday. Tomorrow I am planning to turn my extra large dog crate into a temporary brooder because I think this could have something to do with their space.

I chekced them morning and afternoon today and all was well but this evening I noticed that 3 of the turkeys were ganging up and pecking the vent of the last turkey, and tere was blood on the tail feathers. I checked the vent and found it swolen and bleedig. The blood is not gushing, but there does seem to be a fare amount of it all around the vent and between the legs. It doesnt apear to still be flowing, but maybe it is clotting.

I imediatly removed the injured turkey, put him/her in a hay filled box with some food and water in the bathtub (our poultry hospital). For now I have left him or her to sleep but am wondering what if anything else I should do for him/her? I do not want to harm him/her further but I am wondering if I should clean off the area, and how best to acomplsih that.

When will I know it is ok to return to the flock and how should the reintroduction be accomplsihed?

Last edited:
Separating was the biggest help. However, keep an eye on the other three. What are you feeding them? If this behavior continues with the other three, I'd isolate them in temp. spaces alone. You could also try throwing in bugs/moths, an ear of corn, etc. ; just try to keep them occupied with something other than fundaments.

If they injured poult's wound has scabbed over and is not directly below the vent, I'd not mess with it. If oozing blood/vent ripped then get some Blukote to spray on area or irrigate and debride with Betadine/water (1:10 solution). I'd be lerry of applying any antibiotic ointment to the area in more than a very thin sheen.

When permanent pen is completed just keep an eye on them for 15min. or so. Don't reintroduce injured poult until healed up (if no infection should be about a week if wounds are superficial - they heal fast).

Good luck!

ivan, thank you!

So far I have been feeding them chick food. I assume I should be able to clean the area with a soft cloth and some soapy water? Will peroxide work for now, I will see about getting some blukote in the morning, I should have it anyway. can/should I give the little guy some antibiotic to ward off infection? I am worried since it is so close to the vent...

also I will put them under a shady tree and leave the tray out of the dog crate so that they will have acccess to grass, and throw in some interesting treats, and see how they do.

When you pick up the blu-kote, get a bag of Gamebird Starter (if available) they really do better on a higher protein feed. A small, adjustable spray bottle is very handy (even old windex, etc. bottle that has been `boiled-out'/completely clean). Yes, 50/50 peroxide/sterile water (boil some tap) is o.k. for initial cleaning. If it is scabbed up, with no poop stuck to area, don't mess with it. We usually use spray bottle to squirt the area while holding an old wash cloth below areas to be cleaned to soak up excess disinfectant; then use cotton swabs to work directly on wounds.

Just rub a bit on plain neosporin around margins of wound (very thin layer - don't want poop/fluff/neosporin mixing up into a bigger problem). Just keep an eye on area for the next day or so. Should start healing up quickly (if not post a shot of wound).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom