BC Marans? do they look good to you? boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccshambhala, May 8, 2011.

1. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    I got these 4 black copper marans chicks - what do you think? I wasn't expecting so much brown in the wings ... sadly I did not see the color eggs they came from either. Do you think I have 2 hens?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanx [​IMG]

2. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    *Disclaimer* I know nothing about chickens, and I'm probably wrong but....

That one with the bigger already reddish comb could very well be a Roo!

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:x2

4. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thanx! [​IMG] I fully agree on him - and if I end up with only one roo I'll consider myself lucky! [​IMG] the chick behind him in the last photo (you can just see the top of it's head peeking from behind his neck) and furthest one back in the second photo has me wondering... oh and they are approx 2 weeks old....

5. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    These chicks could possibly be Black Copper Marans but they look more like Black Sex-Link hens. As far as I can see the only issue would be that some BC Marans have yellow legs with a black tinting instead of all black and often have white on their undersides. There are other breeds that produce chicks like these and you could have been fooled. However, I do think that is possible you have BC Marans because I have seen BC Marans chicks like yours and even found a picture of them online. As far as the red feathering, I would not worry about the feathering until the chicks are fully grown. This takes about six months for most breeds. Then you will know for sure.

Since I take it you are new to the chicken world you may need to know a few things about this breed. They are quite friendly and docile. They are a very new and rare breed in America and are currently not a recognized breed by the APA. Some Marans have feather footing but not all. They are not the best egg layer in the chicken world but are not the worst. The hens can go broody but it is not often.

The big issue here is that since you are new to chickens, where did you buy the chicks? I hope it was from someone you can trust. They may have fooled you because they knew you were a newbie. Until you know quite a bit about chickens, always take someone with you to buy the chicks that knows the chicken world. Do your research here on BYC. Read threads and answer questions. In time you will know chickens better than people!

I truly hope they are Marans but I have to say from my 15 years experience that is way too soon to tell breed or sex. In about two weeks post more pics and I maybe able to give a more definite answer, or at least someone else can.

Here are some pictures of chicks I found online and you create your own opinion (the link below the picture is their breed information):

Black Sex-Link Hens:

[​IMG]

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

The Black Copper Marans:

[​IMG]

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

The Black Marans like yours:

[​IMG]

http://www.flowergirldesignscollect.../2009/03/black-copper-marans-baby-chicks.html

Hope this helps! Good Luck, I hope they are BC Marans.........

Timothy in KY

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    MY Marans have black legs so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
    I also 2nd that the one with the larger comb will most likely be a Roo.
    I noticed with my Marans is that they grow really big really fast. I have a 11 week old Rooster and he is beautiful and big already, where the girls kept smaller combs. None of mine really had that brown color pop up in the wings like that but I did get one with the black copper coloring and the rest all were straight black, at this point anyways.

Best of luck, You will find out in a few more weeks for sure what you have.

7. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I didn't think Black Sex Links had feathering on their legs, and the OP's chicks certainly do. I'm surprised in the chick pics to see clean legs. Mine have always been born with leg feathering. These are from the Wade Jeane line and are about 2 days old:

[​IMG]

Here are the eggs in the incubator:

[​IMG]

8. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    I'm not new to chickens - I am sure however there are people on BYC that are much more knowlegable than I - which is why I posted. I know they are a bit young and bound to change a lot - but again - I figured people familiar with the breed would be able to give good advice [​IMG] These are supposed to be "quality birds from the Wade Jean line". They do have feathering on their legs - not heavy- and gray so you have to look for it. So much brown on the wings just surprises me. I know BC marans are a work in progress -I'll be happy to watch them evolve and will post pics [​IMG]

wsdareme - those are gorgeous chicks - and eggs!!

thanx all!

9. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    updated pics (now 5 weeks old) I do think I have one roo & 3 hens [​IMG] I am still surprised by all the brown on two of the girls - waddya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I've never seen any marans with brown in them like that...ours stay black...they look like partridge cochins to me...or marans cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by