BC Marans Nozzle Clogged? Egg Color Lightening

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliecox, Aug 11, 2010.

1. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Ok, so this is a weird question. I have a French Black Copper Marans hen I raised from a chick. She comes from the Wade Jean line, from a very reputable breeder. She is very true to type - correct coloring, feathered legs, good body shape, even has that Marans attitude. The first few months she laid, her eggs were a deep, rich, chocolate color, just stunning. Now, however, she is laying eggs about the same color as a store bought brown egg, with heavily textured dark brown spots. I think I understand how color works with the Marans - as the egg moves along, the dark color is "sprayed" over it. Could she in essence have the equivalent of a clogged nozzle? She seems to be healthy in all respects, gets a high quality feed, grit, scratch, fresh water, and she free-ranges with her Barred Rock buddy a few times a week, when we're outside and can keep an eye on them. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks so much!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not have Marans - but have read that their eggshell color will lighten as their lay cycle progresses. This happens with my regular "brown" layers also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by