bc white polish questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aladatrot, Oct 22, 2009.

1. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Well, here I am in round two of my black crested white polish project. The first birds I was working on raising fell victim to a crafty barn rat who was able to squeeze into a little hole in my previous "brooder". For my new run of 14, hubby built me a first class top of the line rat proof brooder.

The feathered kids are a few months old now and are residing in my small coop inside my horse barn. Everything has thus far gone smoothly with them, as I have now raised all 14 of them without one casualty. My plan is to produce bc white polish so that I can eventually sell some chicks or adults. I would like to be able to keep myself in bc polish without having to import too many more birds into my flock (unless quality can be upgraded through a purchased bird).

At this point, I'm not sure who is a roo and who is a hen, but I figured I may as well start culling the non breed standard birds. Any that are deemed not acceptable breeding birds will head to my main coop with my egg layers. The problem is that the photos of bc whites I see are all over the board color wise, and I don't know what color is acceptable. I had envisioned an all white bird with a black crest, but I have white birds with mostly white crests, white birds with black crests and heads, and even laced looking birds with black crests. What is correct?

Cheers!
    M

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    you've got quite the challenge ahead of you but I commend you for giving it a try. The ideal color for bc whites is an all black crest with an all white body. It is extremely difficult to get and I have yet to see one this way perfectly. your best bet is to keep the birds with the blackest crests and minimal black elsewhere. black headed and necked birds are better to breed than ones with a lot of white in the crest or a lot of lacing.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Absolutely correct. I'd emphasize that if your goal is good representatives of the variety you may have years of work ahead of you. I've been intrigued by this variety since it appeared/reappeared several years ago. As yet I've not seen a good one ie a good Polish type with good colour.
    Good luck with it.

4. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Lol, I had no idea this was such a troublesome breed when I started this! I just liked the looks of them. When I found out that they are in fact a somewhat rare breed, I was excited but also worried about the availability of good specimens. I have learned over the years that hatcheries may be the most convenient way to get birds, but not quality. At any rate, I bought these hatchery birds and so these are what I'm starting with. I hope to add a couple of truly quality specimens and see what I can get through selective breeding. I'm not breeding for show by any means, but I would like my birds to end up being close to or at breed standard. The only issue I am having is establishing what breed standard is!

For now, culling only means some birds will be moving to my main chicken coop. I'll try to establish who is closest to what I want to start with without totally getting rid of anyone.

How do you breeders keep track of pairings and what they produce when you are hatching multiple clutches? I'm a ways off from dealing with that issue, but I'm trying to get my game plan ready.

Cheers
    M

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    How do you breeders keep track of pairings and what they produce when you are hatching multiple clutches? I'm a ways off from dealing with that issue, but I'm trying to get my game plan ready

Numbered Leg bands, numbered eggs & seperate hatch trays or baskets & toe punching. Also well kept records.​

6. polish101

polish101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    North central
    Hi,
    A BC white is just the complete opposite of a WC black. I would say the best way to get good stock is go order a lot from i belive it was sand hill perserve and then cull heavily, but thats just my thought

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by