1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BCM at 4 1/2 weeks (hatched January 10th)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady of McCamley, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Okay...here are my current babies...first time for BCM's.

As of today, I think I have 1 very obvious roo (big comb) and likely 2 pullets. One chick has more copper on her than I was expecting, but her comb is so small I think it is just extra coloring on the hackle rather than roo coloring at this age. One chick has a bit bigger comb than the one with the redder hackle, but so much smaller comb than the obvious roo, I'm thinking pullet.

Oh and should say...same hatch...same parents from eggs from a local breeder. 100% BCM.

What do you guys think?

Multiple photos (of course they are camera shy): 1 large comb (roo); 1 small comb no red; 1 small comb red on neck/upper back
    Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I see one Roo and two pullets

3. AfewBricks

AfewBricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    When did he start getting the comb? I also have 3 BCM, they are almost 2 weeks, and one has just started growing a comb. It's tiny and beak coloured.

4. AfewBricks

Aug 31, 2013
    .... I've been watching their feathering, and they are all feathering the same.

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    almost immediately...I knew at 3 weeks (hunch at 2)...that that one was a roo.

Lady of McCamley

6. AfewBricks

Aug 31, 2013
    When I picked them at 2 days old, about half the hatch already had combs. So I picked the three without, but now one is growing. Thoughts?

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    When I got my first BCMs, I had one early developing cockeral around 3 1/2 weeks and four later developers around 6 weeks. They *can* be extremely tricky.

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Just a feeling but I think you may have 2 roos and 1 pullet. The pullet being the one with the copper coming in on the neck. You have the one roo that is obvious and I have a feeling that the other one is a less dominant rooster, if you look at the combs of the 2 with the smaller combs the pullets is completely straight, the other one has an slight outward curve to it, when I see that I think rooster.

9. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    My gut tells me 1 definite roo, 1 definite pullet (copper) and one I'm crossing my fingers and hoping, hoping, hoping will be a pullet...that one I'm watching.

At least I have one pullet...I think....maybe 2 I hope. Definitely not time to call 2 roos.

Time will tell.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    What was your tip off at 6 weeks...was it the combs catching up? or copper coloring on the back?
    Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by