BCM chick w/ eye infection?????

redturtle

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
stanardsville, va
this is def a bcm...if this is an eye infection what do i do...get antibiotic eye drops...more info and pics follow...thnx for your help

1) What type of bird , age and weight...BLACK COPPER MARAN APPROX 5 WEEKS OLD WEIGHT UNDETERMINED
2) What is the behavior, exactly...NORMAL BEHAVIOR EATING DRINKING POOPING PEEPING SLEEPING W/ A BEAR BUDDY SINCE QUARANTINED
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? THURSDAY EVENING WHEN PUTTING EVERYBODY AWAY FOR THE NIGHT NOTICED ONE OF HIS EYES WAS A LITTLE SWOLLEN AND WATERY FRIDAY MORNING WA CLOSED BUT S/HE COULD OPEN QUARANTINED FRIDAY EVEN LOOKED A LITTLE BETTER THIS MORNING OTHER EYE IS A LITTLE SWOLLEN
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma...NONE
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation...NOTHING THAT I KNOW OF S/HE WAS IN A BROODER ON PINE SHAVING W/ 4 OTHER CHICKS (NO SYMPTOMS IN OTHERS)
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all...WATER W/ A LITTLE SUGAR OR ELECTROLYTES MEDICATED CHICK FOOD
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc...NORMAL POOP (I KNOW FOR SURE SINCE S/HE POOPED ON ME...LOL)
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? QUARANTINE WATCHING (WASNT SURE IF MAYBE GOT SOMETHING IN IT BUT I SEE NOTHING AND HASNT IMPROVED)
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? NEED TO TREAT MYSELF
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use...CURRENTLY IN SMALL QUARANTINE HOUSING ON PINE SHAVINGS W/ FOOD AND WATER AND BEAR BUDDY FOR COMPANY IN MY HOUSE SO ITS COOLER

ALSO....last night was a drop of white liquid in corner of eye...this morning eyes are dry...not stinky...not wheezing or croupy sounding...and s/he can open them

first eye
53095_eye_infection_2.jpg

53095_eye_infection_02.jpg

second eye
53095_eye_infection.jpg

53095_eye_infection_1.jpg

IF YOU NEED BETTER PICS OR MORE INFO JUST LET ME KNOW...THNX FOR THE HELP

I'm no vet, but I do know that IF s/he does not have coryza (no smell, so . . .) it is possible s/he acquired an infection from another source - - possibly even e.coli from pooping in the drinking water. Bacterial infections like chicky e.coli can manifest symptoms in the eyes and joints.

Some possible actions might include:

- Wash hands very well before handling birds (and after, of course)
- Bleaching out the waterer and feeder, and giving them a good rinse
- Picking up some opthalmic antibacterial ointment and applying gently along the rims of the eyes (wear med gloves or wash hands very well after applying). You would apply 2x/day for 5+ days. I got mine from a vet supply house (American Vet Supply online), but you can also try your vet or even the pharmacy. Mine is Vetropolycin, which contains bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate. Our HUMAN opthalmic ointment contains erythromycin, which I guess I could use in a pinch.
- Make sure s/he is eating and drinking good. Can offer half-strength Gatorade for electrolytes, but make sure s/he does not refuse it and not drink. You can also soften the food in water to encourage eating, but be sure to change it out every day if you do this.
- If you have a good avian vet, a vet visit is always an option. They might administer antibiotic shots, but if you go the shot route you will want to make sure you are treating with the correct antibiotic for that bacteria.

I am sure there are other experienced folks who will chime in with good info. Please keep us posted, and good luck!

Last edited:
thnx for the advice...always wash my hands (actually have a bottle of antibacterial gel that i hit before i even leave the coop...lol)...washed out all the waterers w/ a 10% bleach solution (thats what i use for my plant pots i reuse every year)...s/he is still eating and drinking a lot (and pooping up a storm...lol) have been doing the watered down gatorade and sugar water...will have to go to town and buy some eye ointment (hopefully from TSC) otherwise will have to get it online
glad you dont think its anything worse

Back
Top Bottom