BCM chicks problems

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Country Marans, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Country Marans

Country Marans Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Hi, I've found so many of the forums on this site to be very helpful in the past, but there seems to be one question that I cannot find in the other forums, so I decided to sign up for BYC and ask it myself.

The question being the genetics of my blue and black copper Marans chicks. The first problem I noticed was fused toes on the chick I dubbed 'Ostrich' and one or two other chicks with stunted toes and wayward claws. We did what we could for Ostrich, but now I'm seeing other problems. BCMs are supposed to have slate-gray shanks, so why is yellow showing up on the toes and beaks? Also, I've noticed white feathers popping up on their little wings. Up until now I had no idea that there were problems like this, but is it a problem when it comes to breeding? Does it affect the chicks? The egg color?

All this aside, my real question would be 'can I show these chickens?' Right now I am just showing through my local 4-H and am probably going up against hatchery chicks, but will I get disqualified for these problems? I paid so much for these buggers, and they're super sweet and pet-able, but the original plan was to show! What do I do?
    [​IMG]

(1 week old) Their favorite pastime is stretching their fuzzy legs.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, I'm sorry i can't help you out, but welcome to BYC all the same!

It seems you posted this twice, so i took the liberty of posting "double post" just to let other members know.

Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

All the best
    CT

3. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks! I had some technical difficulties this morning. Is there any way to delete the double post?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Moderators will take care of double posts.

4-H shows at small country fairs don't usually disqualify chickens for minor feather color flaws. They simply won't place in their class. However, I would not even attempt to show chickens that had deformed/defective feet or toes.

Chicks will molt two or three times before they will show their true feather color. I hope this works out for you.

Have you contacted the "breeder"? An honest to goodness breeder would replace these chicks. Especially if he claimed they were show quality chicks.

However, I suspect you are dealing with some one who would not be correctly identified as a breeder by a lot of us on this thread.

I hope he makes this mistake good for you!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My guess is the breeder has not weeded out some wheaten genes in their stock. Wheaten is apparently recessive and hides in some black copper lines. You'll just have to wait and see how the birds mature. I wouldn't worry about a stray white feather right now, those can happen and go away as the bird molts out. The base color is another thing entirely, though. Did you get pics or see the parent stock? Did they have correct shank color?

6. enola

Donrea, what do you think about the deformed toes??

7. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Oh, good. Problem is, I've got kind of attached to them. I'll probably message the breeder, though, and let her know that one of her roos or hens is throwing deformed chicks. Thanks, Enola!
    Donrae- that actually sounds great! I would love to have some different colors to tell them apart. The breeder is a local one, though, and a little newer at the job than I had expected. I had had another breeder in mind, but I couldn't get her to respond to my messages after she recommended this other lady. Anyway, I just looked up the parents and I'm facepalming really hard. Not only do they sell wheatens, but their shanks and toes are as white as an Orphingtons'.[​IMG] I can't believe I didn't see that. But what about the messed up toes? Is it genetic like I heard?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  8. enola

Crooked toes can be caused by incubation problems, by dietary deficiencies in breeding stock, injuries after hatching and bad genetics.

Personally, I have never used a chicken with toes that were not normal for breeding stock.......

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    some has added foreign blood up close in your birds pedigree. yellow shanks are a DQ in Marans. Sometimes a chick will start out with legs with a yellowish cast and then they will turn white. But I don't remember Black Copper Marans as having white shanks. White feathers are a no no in BCM. Shouldn't affect the egg colour unless the foreign blood is so close up it effects it. I think you need to ask for a refund. No breeder wants to see less than a real good example of their work go to a buyer. I see the white on the wing tips and I don't remember seeing anything like that on properly bred BCM. Hw much did you pay for these eggs/chicks?
    Honestly, I am not familiar with the genetics of the Blue Marans. I left the breed just as they were getting started in that color. Maybe the white and yellow is ok with Blue Copper Marans? Or those chicks are a modified Blue Copper Splash Marans? I don't know. Find the Blue Copper Marans folk and ask them, smile. In any case the feet problems should give you a refund and don't let anyone tell you fused toes are a result of incubation problems. Crooked toes can be from chicks being in the shell too long but many times crooked toes will be fixed by putting the chicks in feet braces for 24 to 48 hours after hatch. Fused toes? That's a genetic thing.
    Best,
    Karen ( 5 failed starts on Marans due to improperly colored chicks)
    Now awaiting White Chanteclers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  10. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Well, I can see the fused toes on Ostrich as an incubation problem, but the stunted toes on others is definitely genetic (seeing as there is more than one chick with this problem.) I would really like to hear otherwise, but it seems to be a pretty definite thing... 3riverschick, you said that you quit raising Marans because of color issues, but did you experience the toes problem yourself? I know a lot of people have had a rough way with this relatively new breed, but they seem to be gaining popularity so... if mine is just a freak thing, I would definitely want to try again. They do seem to be very smart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by