BCM Cockerel?

reckerfamilyfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
I got a bunch of barnyard mix chicks this spring. The lady was reasonably sure they were pullets, but it’s looking like several are cockerels. I’m way too curious if some of these chickens are purebred by luck of the draw. She had a feeling a few might be... there were legbars, marans, and olive eggers together at the time she hatched these.

Anyways, does this look like a purebred BCM?

Attachments

• 916D1A4D-390D-4646-BC56-EA59474FA209.jpeg
    916D1A4D-390D-4646-BC56-EA59474FA209.jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 53
I got a bunch of barnyard mix chicks this spring. The lady was reasonably sure they were pullets, but it’s looking like several are cockerels. I’m way too curious if some of these chickens are purebred by luck of the draw. She had a feeling a few might be... there were legbars, marans, and olive eggers together at the time she hatched these.

Anyways, does this look like a purebred BCM?
He could very well be a pure BCM cockerel. He does not look full grown yet. Has a lot of developing still to go.😊

Thanks for the replies! I’ll keep watching as he matures... what would be indicators of purebred BCM I should keep an eye out for?
Well his coloring, comb type and leg feathering and leg color all appear correct. If the breeder did not have other birds that look very similar, then chances are good he is a purebred. He should develop the mahogany/copper feathering as he matures.
Here is a good example of a full grown BCM rooster.
BCM roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom