BCM Craze

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dixie&trixie, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    I’m trying to avoid the whole BCM craze. Well Kinda..... [​IMG]

I got one baby BCM from a friend (sex unknown as of yet). I keep telling myself, “don’t fall into the hype”, “you wont be able to stop if you start” etc… [​IMG]

The problem is every time I see a thread or a picture of those beautiful dark color eggs I get drawn into the BCM cult. I WANT THOSE EGGS!! [​IMG]

If the pullet I have now is a roo then I’ll have to get a hen for the eggs but if the pullet is a hen I’ll have to get a roo to get the chicks. It’s a double-edged sword for me. What do I do people!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? [​IMG]

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    It's simple: If the pullet you have now is a roo then you have to get a hen for the eggs but if the pullet is a hen you have to get a roo to get the chicks. You said it yourself. Now help me get over the craving for those eggs!!

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Oh its not just BCMs, i have it for Silkies, Seramas, yeah it's badd lol

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Haha dixie and trixie are the names of two of my golden cuckoo marans pullets [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How do you solve the problem? Do what I did. Get a BUNCH of hatching eggs this spring. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Especially consider, there are a lot of breeders here online who ship eggs. . . Do some research, find your favorites. [​IMG] All the eggs I showed above are actually from Blue Wheaten Marans. That's right, it's not just Black Coppers who lay the beautiful stuff. I found that in the end my favorite are Blue Wheatens, so I got a bunch of eggs and went from there. . . I'm still in the process of breeding to some very dark egg laying Blue Wheatens. (course, this includes normal Wheatens too)

Blue Wheatens are also beautiful in simple, too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Quote:Cute names huh? I got a third chick shortly after I named dixie & trixie and wanted to call her Pixie but my BF said no way!

7. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Quote:OOOoooooo what are those white-ish ones???? Do they lay the dark eggs?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    dixie&trixie :

OOOoooooo what are those white-ish ones???? Do they lay the dark eggs?

Those "white-ish" ones are Wheatens. [​IMG] Wheatens are a gorgeous creamy brown with black tipping (or blue tips of they're a blue wheaten) in the hens, and solid black (or blue) and orange in the males. That's the beauty of them - each gender is very different, but yes, they lay the eggs I showed in the photos. [​IMG]

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    dixie&trixie :

Quote:Cute names huh? I got a third chick shortly after I named dixie & trixie and wanted to call her Pixie but my BF said no way!

Haha I think you should name it Pixie. My dh hates that I named 2 of my roos Sweetie Pie and Pookey Bear lol. I love calling them when he is outside and watching him roll his eyes [​IMG]

Illia stop showing that Crazy Beautiful ROO! No don't stop...no stop...nooo don't stop... arrrggg!! That pic leaves a person with no willpower at all lol.​

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Gorgeous birds and eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by