BCM & EE pullets which one is laying lt. brown speckled egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clacasse88, Aug 1, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    I have one BCM that recently started laying dark brown eggs.

I have 2 other BCMs almost ready to lay and one EE that is close to laying (cannot confirm). Now I have a new mystery layer and it's either the BCM or EE . . . I thought it could have been one of my RIRs that are just starting to lay, but I moved the BCMs & EE into a separate coop. So one of them is laying this lt. brown speckled egg.

Who would you think is laying it -- the EE or the BCM?

I couldn't get a picture as it laid it in the run and they started pecking at it . . . hope this isn't a new trend! I gotta nip this one in the bud.

Thanks for your help!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Your BCM. The EE should be shades of green, blue or pink

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    My Marans lay eggs with varying amounts of speckles. Sometimes the first egg in a cycle is a light brown with speckles, and then it darkens over the next few eggs. If I didn't know for sure it was the same hen, I wouldn't think they came from the same bird.

My BCM always has some amount of speckles, even when the egg is quite dark. My Cuckoo always lays a smooth and shiny egg. Individuals do vary!

4. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, but then I thought it could be a very light shade of pink. Thanks for your thoughts!

5. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:Very good! I was concerned it was my EE laying a color that I wasn't expecting. Thanks for your input too.

6. abooth

abooth Songster

There are plenty of easter eggers that lay brown eggs. The BCM should lay dark brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by