BCM Egg Color--how much does it change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AlGalMom, Aug 20, 2011.

1. AlGalMom

AlGalMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I am a new chicken owner, and my black copper maran hen has been laying for about 2 weeks. We got a BCM because we'd been getting free range eggs from BCMs and they were such a beautiful deep brown--I loved them! Anyway, her eggs are definitely darker than the store-brand "brown" eggs, but nowhere near the deep brown that we were getting from our local egg guy. Can I hope that her eggs will deepen in color as she matures? Or is this as good as it gets? We got her from a small breeder that seemed to have good stock, although now I can't remember if I saw actual eggs from her BCMs or just pictures of those eggs. Thanks!

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    She will learn to paint them. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How old is she? If she just started laying, as in, the first in her life, I wouldn't worry too much yet, however after week 3 that's about as dark as it gets.

Otherwise if she's a mature hen don't worry too much, she might just be at the end of her cycle for the year, but, some Black Coppers do indeed lay paler eggs than others. Often if there's a mature/laying Black Copper hen for sale, I'm sorry, it is in most cases because she doesn't lay a dark enough egg. Few people cull (sell) their Marans for the Standard vs Dark eggs.

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Its possible shes not a purebbred.
    If she has just started laying, her egg color might change, but im no expert!!

5. AlGalMom

Mar 28, 2011
    We got her as a week-old chick--she is now about 20 weeks old and is still laying pullet eggs.

I'm pretty sure she is a purebred BCM--the breeder had her pens very well laid out and kept the breeds segregated. And Henrietta looks exactly the way a BCM hen is supposed to.

So....what kind of paint should I supply her with [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do you have pics of her eggs?

I'd say don't worry until they stay that color about 2 weeks down the road. Marans eggs naturally darken first, THEN lighten way later down the road. If hers are speckled, don't worry. (large speckles) If they're pretty solid in color, I'd worry.

7. AlGalMom

Mar 28, 2011
    Here's one I just took. Not sure how well it shows up, but they are fairly speckled, although not really big spots.

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They'll stay that color if not get a hint darker, sorry. When I have girls who lay eggs like that, they usually stay that way. Next year at the beginning of her second cycle they may be a bit darker though but I say for now enjoy what ya got. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by