BCM egg color

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deathfromabove, Jul 28, 2014.

1. deathfromabove

deathfromabove In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    I'm just wondering how dark are there eggs? Looking to find the darkest chocolate eggs.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 6 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! They are supposed to lay very dark eggs! I just got some from a breeder this spring and am looking forward to that first chocolate egg myself. Mary

3. deathfromabove

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    So can you order chicks or only eggs?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You can generally find both - are you wanting hatchery stock or breeder stock? Knowing your location would help those who might be near you offer recommendations as to some more local sources if you prefer not to go the hatchery order route.

5. deathfromabove

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    I'm looking for breeder stock. I live in Maryland so we get all four seasons.

6. deathfromabove

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    I'm planning on breeding her with my EE to see if I can get some olive eggers, the darker chocolate egg the darker the olive. At lest that is what I've read here. If I'm wrong please educate me.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Olive Eggers are best created using a pure blue egg layer to a dark brown egg layer.
    EE's are a crap shoot as you can't always be sure they will carry the blue egg gene.

But it can happen......I hatched an OE from a brown egg(probably from and Amberlink) fertilized by an EE.

There's a thread just for Olive Eggers here to learn more.

8. deathfromabove

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    He definantly has the blue egg gene, he has the pea comb and no wattles. We have 2 coockoo marans and they lay dark brown eggs with speckles so I'm waiting for any of my other hens to become broody. I have 2 BO,3 EE, 2 BA, 2 WR and 2 BR. Hopefully soon.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I should have said it's crap shoot whether he will pass on the one blue egg gene he may have.
    You'll have to see whether his chicks have the pea comb before you start hoping, then wait until the pullets lay an olive egg.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: