BCM Eggtopsy Results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Here are the results of the eggtopsy:

11 BCM eggs
    1 died while hatching and was very large.
    4 were dead when cracked on day #23, but definitely filled the shell completely. Did not appear to have internally pipped but I'm not sure how I would know
    2 looked pretty developed but were much smaller and didn't fill the shell (died at lockdown or so?)

5 had no solid matter and either yellow or creamy liquid came out so were either not fertilized or died early (I didn't inspect too closely).

I had 1 Barred Rock that developed pretty far and died apparently in the last few days (didn't fill up shell but looked pretty advanced) and 1 that just looked like egg yolk.

Any thoughts as to why so many died in the last few days?? My temps ran high during the incubation 101-102. During lockdown it was easier to keep it at 100 or maybe just slightly above. My humidity during lockdown was just around 55% for most of Day 18, then I got it up to just above 60% for the rest. It was much higher on day 21 because of pips/zips etc.

2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Well, if you had a forced air bator, then the temps are too high...usually try for 99.5-100.5 BUT that wouldn't account for the fully formed chicks. Perhaps you had a temp spike??
    Just a thought.

3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I had a still air incubator so was aiming for 100.5-101 degrees but was able to get 99.5 or just under the 102 spot on the glass thermometer but had a really hard time hitting 101.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by