BCM gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmmre31, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jmmre31

jmmre31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    Hi, I've recently hatched out 8 BCMs and I'm really having a hard time figuring out gender. They are 3 weeks old. Most of them them look like males to me. Here are two pictures to help explain. All but two have large crests, some of them have large crests with well developed tails and some don't. Plus some of them are showing red below their beaks. Wattle? I could only up load two pictues not sure why. Any help on identifying gender would be wonderful. I have two many peeps and don't want to give all my girls away![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a boy, sorry.

3. jmmre31

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    The top one or the bottom one. Or both? 1 has a well developed tail the other doesn't. Does that matter? I was told the girls feather out sooner?

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    From the two pictures you posted, they look like roos! If the have red wattles at 3 weeks they will be roos!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Both, I'd say.

6. jmmre31

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    Thanks! If both of those are boys, then I think I only have 1 girl out of 8. Of course, 5 of the 6 mutt eggs are girls![​IMG]
    I just wanted some dark eggs, no breeding programs or anything, so of course I get all boys!

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    MY What a BIG Comb you have, grandmother.
    MY What BIG legs you have, grandmother.

That's because I am NOT your grandmother, I am a COCKEREL! Muah ha ha ha ha!

Believe it or not, last year, I had a few different breeds I was hatching and buying for breeding stock. Wouldn't you know, luck was with me, I got straight pullets in most of them and then had not cockerels to breed them with! You couldn't plan for that, but that was my curse last year. This year looks like the boys are outnumbering the girls as a way of balancing things out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    I feel your pain. Hatched five out in January and four of the five were girls. 50/50 my patootie! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by