BCM hatch, not very good

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rsarns, Jun 28, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Ok, it was my fist attempt, but it is day 22 and I had 3 hatch out of 25 eggs set. They were shipped eggs. I have a 1588 with the egg turner, no temp spikes and humidity stayed good. Locked down on day 18 and bumped humidity up to 70%. Day 18 had 1 hatch. Day 20 another hatch and then day 21 another. Now nothing..... [​IMG] I will give them another day to see what happens, but no peeping at all. Any suggestions? I understand that shipped eggs do not have agreat success rate and that BCM's are ven more difficult but was sure hoping for a better success than what I got. I have 12 Blue Marans eggs and 11 BCM's in another incubator that are now on day 12... I hope those do better. The 3 that hatched are doing well though.

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Bcms are very hard to hatch! 3 out of 25 is low. But with shipped eggs there is no guarantee. I just paid a bundle for SLW eggs and only 3 of 10 are developing because the rest had been shook in shipping and all had bubbles in them...sigh...
    I hope you get more... I've heard that humidity needs to be a little lower for bcm eggs. I've hatched about 50 bcms and run my humidity at 58-60% at lockdown with my gqf cabinet. I think your humidity might be a little high... but I'm not a pro!

3. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I recently did a BCM hatch and only had 1 make it. I did have 2 temperature issues though, the first time our power went out for a few hours overnight, so the temperature dropped to about 95, the second time our air conditioning broke during the day, so the temperature spiked to 105. So after those two events I was actually happy that even 1 survived. Now I'm just hoping she is a girl![​IMG]

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Not to depress anyone but I got 4 BCM's from a local and all 4 hatched. Issue might be with shipping. I got a new incubator and wanted to make a run with it for testing, 21 of 24 hatched. Now I've got shipped eggs in there now, I'm sure the results will be lower.

5. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Shipped eggs are gamble, I've had 90% hatch and 0% hatch, plus a 20% hatch, all Marans eggs. Check your eggs. Most likely any that have not developed were result of rough shipping. Any with fully formed chicks and lots of fluid in the egg are most likely drowned.

Just my experience so far...... don't go above 50% humidity at lockdown for Marans. I had had a Marans Broody who only hatched 50% during a recent wet/humid spell. I opened the remaining eggs and most of them had drowned, probably from too much humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by