BCM hatch rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlackBart, May 12, 2010.

1. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    A friend just incubated 12 BCM eggs and only two hatched.
    I was told that the hatch rate of the BCM is very low but I think two out of twelve is awful. Especially for the price they paid.
    Anybody know the general hatch rate of BCM?

The other 10 eggs had green liquid inside.

She was told that means some of the eggs were infertile and some of the eggs were fertile but didn't grow. They all had the same green liquid inside.
    To me that means they were never fertile in the first place. Am I right?

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I put 60 of my BCM eggs in the bator 4 weeks ago,,this past weekend we hatched out 58 of the white- black tuxedo'ed chics,,last week I had a dozen or so extra eggs,so I scrambled them for the dogs to try,,all 12 had bullzeyes in them,,,how far was the eggs shipped to your friend? That will ruin any high percentage of a hatch rate going thru the postal dept of trash and mash!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I am interested too. I got 18 eggs BCM eggs shipped to me from about 4 hours away. I had 5 that never started, and 10 early quiters. I now have three left in the bator, two look like they have a chick but it is so dark I can't see movement and the last egg is so dark I cannot see ANYTHING so I just left it in. They are due to start hatching tomorrow morning, I am worried I will end up with nothing [​IMG]

4. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I have FBC eggs running out my ears,and wheaton marans also,,I know my hatch rate is excellent here,,but have never shipped them,except to Washington State,and they got 18 outta 24 to hatch,,I can help ya out,if you wanna just pay shipping??

5. CorralitosSunflower

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I payed an arm and a leg for those 18 eggs (my husband nearly had a heart attack [​IMG] ) I kept saying well if they can sell them for that much we are bound to make some of our money back if I can sell chicks in the future....... He will never trust me again if NONE of these hatch. I was hoping for at least 4 chicks out of the bunch. If you are willing to send me some for the shipping costs I would be ECSTATIC to have another chance at these babies because I thought all my chances were dashed with this hatch, or lack there of.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  6. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Nayana,,how big is your bator? I can send you fbc(Wade Jeane lines) Wheaton,(Presley lines) Silver Cuckoo(Channing Grissam lines),,all have feathered shanks,,egg color of fbcs is 7-8,wheatons-7-8,cuckoo's,,possibly a 7,,,I can start collecting now and ship out on Monday,,will give you a good assortment,,and fill the box,,,,no use in wasting space and your money on postage,eh? I will need your address,,and we wil get you marans,,,,

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    The eggs traveled about a 4 hour car ride. They were incubated in a Brinsa, the big cabinet incubator that does everything except house work. [​IMG]
    They were about a 7-8 on the scale.

Two eggs hatched, ten didn't.
    Out of the ten, 1 had a dead chick inside, 1 was greenish inside and 8 looked like a normal egg inside.
    Not good, that works out to about $25 a chick.
    She bought hatching eggs from other expensive breeds and had similar poor hatch rates.

She has had excellent hatch rates from her own backyard chicken stock, almost 100% and her Roo was covering allot of hens.

frenchblackcopper your offer sounds very interesting but we live in Canada [​IMG]
    I will send her the link to this thread, to tempt her [​IMG]

8. CorralitosSunflower

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Quote:It seems to me like your friend got a very bad batch of eggs if they were not even shipped AND they were using a good incubator. I would complain to the person she bought the eggs from. My 18 eggs were shipped and all but 5 started developing but were early quitters (probably due to the shipping) so I know they were fertile. The bummer when you buy from someone you don't know I guess, you don't know how the eggs were handled before you got them or about fertility. You just have to trust what the seller says. I am so sad about my hatch but at least I don't feel like I got cheated.

9. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Nanya,,I can get you about 50-60 FBC eggs in a large box,express mail it to you for about 50$,,,will start saving today.I'm getting about 4 dozen a day,and we culled very hard 3 months ago,so most of the obvious faults should not be in these chicks,if you can get them to sprout.I've only been saving eggs like these to incubate,,[​IMG] Guess we will see how badly the US Postal service can hurt these.But I know they will be 99.9% fertile,,best we can do is try.And you won't be out $300 for 4-5 dozen of these,,,,now if peafowl breeders would only do this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd be first in line!!

10. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just love the look of those eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by