BCM hen with bulging base of comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmpcfp, Apr 24, 2017.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I recently re-homed a 3 year old BCM hen. She has had a bulbous/bulging/swollen base of her comb for quite a while, possibly when she first came into lay, so I didn't think anything of it until the new owner asked about it. Is this normal you think? Other than bumble foot about 8 months ago and a semi-recent habit of egg eating, she has been healthy. They are on a layer feed with occasional scraps and free ranging. No other issues with any coop mates. She lays occasionally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't know what the cause of that would be, especially since she has had it for a long time. It's possible that at one time she may have had a pecking wound/insect bite that became infected and it formed a solid mass in the comb. It could also be a genetic abnormality. If you feel like she has been this way since she came into lay and she is now 3yrs old, I would leave it be.

The comb color looks healthy, I don't see any signs/symptoms of illness (nasal discharge, watery eyes, lethargy, etc.) that would be associated with diseases like Cholera that present with swollen combs/wattles.

Hopefully someone else may have an idea as to the cause. It's interesting for sure.

3. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I just found some pictures of her from January 2015, when she was about 10 months ago. This was taken a couple days after we had temperatures in the single digits and had a touch of frostbite. But she definitely had the swollen comb there, as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting.

I'd almost say it's just the way she is made, but if she had a touch of frostbite all those years ago, then it's possible fluids from the frostbite may have hardened in there, developing the lump that you see today.

Do you know how it feels - is it firm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by