1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BCM Legs/Shanks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by enggass, Nov 26, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Do all BCM have feathered shanks/legs? Or is there a line that doesn't?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They should all have feathered shanks, but I believe there's a line out there that may not, or may just have very little feathering.

3. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I have 4 BCM w/o feathered legs, I'm told they are English BCM, I am new to the breed so ??? Just got the second one laying today. Eggs are purdy dark brown.

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    English--- Clean leg

French---- Feather leg

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Of my BCMS.
    4 hens, 3 feathered nicely, 1 clean
    2 roos, 1 feathered heavily, 1 sparsley

I've had both roos in with them so it will be exciting to see what I get from my NYD hatch.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    There is no such bird as an English clean shanked Black Copper Marans
    The only clean shanked English Marans are Dark Cuckoo,Silver Cuckoo,Golden Cuckoo & Black.
    All French Marans are feather shanked.
    The clean shanked Black Copper is an American invention.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:If even that. . . A clean shanked Black Copper in my opinion is a shame. I find it sad that people try and say clean shanked Marans are proper in the US. [​IMG]

8. phoneman

phoneman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumter s.c.
    french black copper marans has feathers on outside of legs and down the outside toes. clean legged black copper marans are english

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I believe the proposed standard calls for "sparse," feathering. Some of them I have seen are too heavily feathered.

ETA the proposal (approved 6/11/10):
    Shanks -- medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides.
    Toes -- four long and well-separated toes on each foot. Outer toes lightly feathered, middle toes free from feathers..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  10. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:If even that. . . A clean shanked Black Copper in my opinion is a shame. I find it sad that people try and say clean shanked Marans are proper in the US. [​IMG]

Illia, I fail to follow your reasoning that it is a shame that people think clean shank Marans are proper. Clean shank Marans have been in the USA for many years. If someone wants to breed clean leg Marans that is fine with me. Look at all the outside of Marans breeding that is going on within the Marans to make new color varietys. These new genes did not just show up in the Marans. Some are doing a lot of out crossing. Money makes people do a lot of weird things. Don

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by