BCM pretty roos *pictures*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Marans, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Country Marans

Country Marans Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

I found these roosters for sale and I'm just drooling over them for my new hatch of pullets. Problem is, I'm a newbie at this. and would like a second opinion before making any final decisions. Are these really good for breeding? They have really nice combs, tails, and look nice and beefy, but what about the color genetics? I don't have a picture of eggs to go by, so.... [​IMG] Any ideas? Are the hackles too yellow?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I would be more concerned about their personality. You don't want an aggressive rooster.

3. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    That is a very good point.
    They're coming from a breeder. I guess they could be culls (aesthetic or otherwise) for him/her, but it sounded more like excess roosters. They were posted as 'friendly,' and 'show quality.' If I decide to get them, I will be driving up there and hand -picking, so...?

4. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Any other helpful suggestions? :)

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    There is only one Black Copper Marans in the photo. If the bird is free (one way I get rid of excess cockerels as I don't eat them all) then you are getting a nice bird that pleases you visually. If they are charging money then pull up a copy of SOP on Black Copper Marans and read through it carefully. If your buying "show quality" they should be show quality.

Let me put it this way. I hatched near 30 cockerels this year of one variety and breed. Of those I'd feel lucky if 3 were show quality (yet to finish evaluating as they are still putting on tails). I'll get down to a few excellent breeders but the ones culled and given away so far this year were just well behaved birds that became food as they didn't make the cut. From breeder stock and a line that's been awarded in national shows but they themselves were not. That's why I don't sell cockerels. I'll put together a pair or trio if enough left over that are worth breeding and sell that but don't sell my culled from breeding cockerels. Heck my culled from breeding pullets are sold at laying bird prices as that is what they are, not show quality layers just pretty birds that lay well.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  7. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    They are being sold for $12 for black coppers, and $15 for blues and splashes. I've been told that some color genes 'hide' in the blues and splashes, so I'm more interested in the black coppers. What does it sound like theyre selling?

8. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Heres some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by