BCM Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Egg-plant momma, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Egg-plant momma

Egg-plant momma In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2019
    Going to pick up a free "BCM rooster" tomorrow. First of all, is this picture even the breed they claim? Also, why isn't his comb and wattle more red? Could he be sick? FB_IMG_1556068076255.jpg FB_IMG_1556068292078.jpg

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Is definitely a Rooster! May be a mixed breed. As with all newbies being integrated in the flock, I would separate him from your other birds for a week or two to be sure he isn’t sick. Do you know the breeder?

3. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    He kind of looks like an auracana with his lack of tail feathers, but that single comb(?) suggests a mix.
    @Brahma Chicken5000

4. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    He definitely doesn’t show any black copper maran characteristics
    I’m pretty sure his comb is like that because of the breeds in him also it looks to be a rumpless breed which means they don’t have tail feathers
    He is very pretty!

I agree with chick-n-fun do you know the breeder?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  5. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Crowing

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    That is not a BCM, looks more like an araucana mix- looks like something with black skin- possibly ayam cemani (with the single comb)?

He doesn't look sick in the pics, but I agree that you should quarantine, stress has a nasty habit of bringing out disease in even the healthiest birds.

Chick-N-Fun and Egg-plant momma like this.
  6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Ok a few traits to address on this bird: rumplessness is a trait of Araucanas but it can sometimes occur in tailed breeds as a defect. Considering that rumplessness is a dominant trait, this means that if one of his parents was an Araucana cross they would carry 1 gene for rumplessness as well as 1 gene for the pea comb (assuming the other breed was single combed) so when this first generation Araucana cross was mated to a single combed tailed bird (possibly Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona) the offspring statistically speaking would hatch out 50% rumpless with pea or single combs & 50% tailed with pea or single combs. This explains how the bird pictured could be rumpless and single combed. Also melanistic skin is dominant.
    Is it me or am I seeing muffs and a beard on this bird?
    Another possibility is that this is a true Araucana but one that has multiple defects and as such is being removed from the breeding flock.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I knew I tagged you for a reason!:woot:gig:cool::lol:

8. Egg-plant momma

Apr 9, 2019
    Yes, if I get him at this point, I 100% Only want a BCM roo. I will definitely separate! No, a guy in a local chicken group on Facebook has 4 roosters for free, this is one of them. Thank you!!

9. Egg-plant momma

Apr 9, 2019

10. Egg-plant momma

Apr 9, 2019
    I love it!! I am slightly obsessed with dog genetics but am new to chickens and havent looked into their genetics much. I think you just started something for me! Haha. Thank you so much!!
    @Brahma Chicken5000
    @crazy4ChickensNducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: