1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BCM x red sex link - updated 14 week old photos

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by keckels, Nov 29, 2011.

1. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Most probably haven't seen my thread about losing 8 of my anywhere from 5-9 month old chickens. Anyway, I decided to hatch some of my own eggs from my 3 sex links x black copper rooster. I wondered what would come out of the shell, and this is the first one. Have 7-8 more a few days behind.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Cute. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. keckels

May 30, 2011
    I put these eggs in after the coturnix started hatching - that's why they're so far apart, but here's the 2nd to hatch from the sex links x BCM. Little bit different color.

[​IMG]

Guess I'll have to start studying all the genetics. These were really just to replace the sex links a predator got. Which after checking my birds this morning I seen a coyote I still need to dispose of.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nice. Seems right so far, you can expect half to be black copper colored and half to be "white copper" since half will get one copy of Dom. White from the sexlinks. Please try to post some pics of the white copper colored ones as they grow. I've been thinking of doing that same cross to get that color but I don't know if id ever get around to it.

5. keckels

May 30, 2011
    You were absolutely right. Out of my last hatch there were 2 and 2.

This one wins for most personality and it does have feathers on it's legs
    [​IMG]

This one cutest with the little bit of black in a few places
    [​IMG]

And it already needs a shave
    [​IMG]

My luck, they'll be the wrong sex to lay eggs.

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    nice cute lil chickies!

7. keckels

May 30, 2011
    Sorry for quality, smartphone pic, this is the only photo I have handy of the roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got several adult birds from this same cross. The single dominant white gene lets a lot of black bleed through, so you don't get a good clean "white" copper. If your black copper roo is from a line that has very dark hens, then you don't get much color around the hackle if it's a hen - just a white bird with a black feather here and there.

The darker ones feather out exactly like your typical black sex-links, the columbian and wheaten genes in your sex-links allow for more copper coloring in the chest. You'll probably get some really nice copper lacing in the breast and maybe even in the wings of the hens. Roosters tend to have a lot more copper on the chest than a regular BCM. I had a huge rooster that was a sex-link BC cross, but lost him in a barn fire a couple weeks ago. He looked very much like a Blacktailed Buff Marans.

9. keckels

May 30, 2011
    That's good to know, I was wondering what to expect. As I mentioned, I was down on birds from a predator loss, & had fertile eggs in the coop. Here in about another month I hope to put him with my lone BCM pullet.

The sex links are laying some really nice sized pretty brown eggs, so if I end up with that, I'll be happy. Would you mind posting some pics of your cross?

Quote:

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Do you have any pics of the white copper ones ? And yes that is right that only one copy will let some lack spots come through and some people will mistake the color for splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by