BCM x ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlabamaPeep, Feb 3, 2013.

1. AlabamaPeep

AlabamaPeep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Alabama
    Back in November I dicided I didn't want to wait for spring so I purchased my first chicks from a man here locally who told me that they were crosses of a BCM rooster and white leghorn, buff orpington, or welsummer hen. All were incubated and brooded together so when I picked them up they were all mixed (and straight run). Being that I knew very little about the different breeds (I had just read about raising chicks in general) I just got a few of each color and figured I would determine the breed when they fully feathered. Well, most of them are pretty obvious which hen they are out of except for the ones who look mostly like the BCM and this one. I had 2 that looked like this but my roo died last week. I'm not really sure what happened to him... I just found him lethargic in the coop and took him in the house. I tried to give him some water with a little karo in a dropper and when I did he went into a seizure and immediately passed.

Anyway... I thought they were so ugly at first but I think she's turned out to have a really pretty feather pattern and I would like to get her a mate. What do you think she is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AlabamaPeep

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Alabama
    FYI: I can see a similar pattern (gradually darker as you get closer to the tail feathers) in the ones I believe to be BCM x welsummer but they are more of a red color... this golden buff is what throws me off. FWIW her legs are a slate color with no feathering. Maybe the BCM was actually a cross? Now that I have read more about them I know he was a really good looking bird but definitely not show quality because he had lighter legs without feathers.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Sorry about your roo [​IMG]

She looks Wellsummery. Very pretty girl.

4. AlabamaPeep

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Alabama

Thank you! That's kinda what I was thinking but it's nice to have a second opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by