BCM's pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sbrown, Oct 22, 2013.

1. sbrown

sbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I have three 12 week old Black Copper Marans. Im still getting this sexing stuff figured out. Getting better at my EE's but the single comb breeds like this give me a little trouble it seems cause their combs all[​IMG][/IMG] look big to me compared to the peacomb of the EE's. I had feared that these all were roos but now Im not sure. One has a comb that is a good bit bigger than the other two and has a lot of color already. 2 of them have a good bit of color though. I can't tell by the saddle feathers, rounded or pointy?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    12 weeks is early-ish for saddle or hackle feathers---some birds will have them now, some won't yet. But those combs at 12 weeks are male.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Judging by the combs, all of the pictured birds are cockerels. Pointed hackle/saddle feathers won't appear until they're older, around 14+ weeks of age.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but those birds all look like cockerels. Pullets often don't have such large, red combs at this age. Still, they may still be pullets. Just wait in see-- some pullets mature quickly, and look like roosters, only to become perfectly good laying hens.

5. sbrown

sbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    Thats what is throwing me off. I was think they were all roos but then noticed the one with the most color has the largest comb. It is also noticeably larger thatn the other two. May just be a big bird. Im hoping the one that is mostly black may be a hen. I do plan on keeping one roo. I know these pics are hard to tell from but if all are roos which one would be more desireable for breeding and why? All have dark legs and are feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by