1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Be a hero -- donate blood!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Do you like to donate blood? I do! [​IMG]

I think it's really fantastic that I can be a hero and save up to 3 people's lives each time, all while sitting back on a couch with my feet up! (Actually, it's just fantastic to be made to sit back & relax on a couch with my feet up for any reason!) If I ever saw a person drowning I don't know if I could jump in the water to rescue them. If ever I encountered someone needing CPR I don't know if I'd remember how to perform the procedure. BUT I can take less than an hour of my time, sit back and relax, endure a few pin pricks, and save people's lives, and be given juice & cookies afterwards.

Even better, my local feed store used to routinely schedule the bloodmobile to come there and the owner would give every donor a free bag of whatever kind of feed they wanted, up to $15 in value. I used to go there and get a bag of Flock Raiser for my birds. I hope they appreciated what I went through to get it for them! But they haven't had them at that store for a while, so now I donate when my church schedules the bus to come.

Last time my 16-year-old son donated blood for his very first time. I was so PROUD of him for doing that! All my boys have sat & watched me give blood many times so I hope it's been a good example for them. My little boys think it's great when I go donate because they get to eat cookies & drink juice while they wait. "When are you going to donate blood again Mom?" they ask, the little ghouls!

In many communities the blood banks run low at this time of year. Many donors are too busy with holiday business, while the need for blood increases with holiday traffic-related accidents. Please consider donating blood if you can, and if for some reason you cannot, try to persuade someone else to donate instead.

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Be a hero and donate platelets!!!! [​IMG]

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] to those who can donate blood/plasma/platelets!

The blood center I used to work at gives away specialty breads to those who donate right around Christmas, and they also provide free gift wrapping while you donate.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hubby donates while my six year old daughter watches.

I am sure she will donate when she comes of age. As for me I used to but have too many drug "cocktails" precription medications so it is a no go for me to donate. [​IMG]

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My gratitude to those who can and do! I cannot. So DH donates platelets four times a year. It takes longer, but he says it is great - he gets to sit in a lounge chair and watch an entire movie without a kid asking for something!! I am jealous!

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    On my Big List of Things To Do Next are finding out how to be considered as a platelet and blood marrow donor. A woman in my church recently was called to be a marrow donor. She had been on the registry and someone across the country was a match. She said the procedure wasn't bad at all and her recipient is now doing great. She saved his life!!! And when I recently renewed my driver's license I told them to include me as an organ donor. Too bad we can't regenerate donated organs the way we can with blood, platelets or marrow.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:It has changed lately an is easy to remember. You cant really do it wrong anyway as long as your doing it, its helping. Once you do it for real the first time you never forget. Did CPR on a lady last night. Ive lost count on the people that I have did CPR on over the years. Two babies an many many adults. Take the classes/refresher an take one on AEDs.

I give blood when I'm in town but there is no where local to.

8. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i used to donate all the time, but since i had surgery on my head the red cross (or anyother agency) wont let me anymore. i was bummed when i found out.

yay for those that can and do tho!

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    They don't want my blood; they think I have mad cow. I lived in Europe, on a farm, during the wrong time period. So they won't let me donate. I can feel the prions eating my brain. [​IMG]

10. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i donate plasma twice a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by