Be careful feeding pumpkins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by woodmort, Nov 12, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    We've had some of our pumpkins that were used for decoration in front of the house and they're starting to deteriorate so I've been feeding them to the chickens, one at a time. Of course they can't get at the seeds or meat unless they're broken open so I raise them over my head and smash them on the ground. Unfortunately they don't always break in two. Given that there is a hill behind the chicken coop, unsmashed pumpkins, obeying the law of gravity, will roll down the hill. I darn near sprained my ankle chasing after one today. So be careful if you have the same kind of situation, it could be dangerous. [​IMG]

Oh yeah, it broke apart on the second try and the birds went nuts eating it. [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

Sorry about your ankle,hope it gets better soon. [​IMG]

3. Shai

Shai Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Oh that's hilarious lol...glad you are okay, and I bet the chickens were thrilled!

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I just get a big knife and cut them in half. Our hill leads down to a swamp.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Careful you don't fall, or it could be a woodmort/pumpkin downhill race. [​IMG]

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:Mine too and in between the hill and the cedar swamp is a bunch of wild roses. OUCH! Been there done that! won't do it again!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Actually there is a fence at the bottom of the hill that prevent it from rolling into a mess of multifloral roses and blackberry bushes or I'd have been in big trouble.

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the laugh woodmort!

10. Ema