Be careful for what you wish! Hahahaha!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Theda's Mom, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    I'm one of those who has been waiting (im)patiently for the first eggs from a flock of young hens. I waited. I waited. I waited. I tapped my toe. I checked the coop two, three, four times a day. I waited some more. Then holy moly. The girls have decided to get in the game. From no eggs/day to yesterday I collected five. [​IMG]

I love my girls!

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Cool! Love mine too!!

3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I am one of those impatient people too. I have 10 pullets who starting squatting yesterday, it made my whole day!!!! Now I believe it will be an easter egg hunt to find those eggs as I have never seen them utilize the nesting boxes or show any interest in them. It is amazing how some silly little chickens can make you so happy. I love my girls....

4. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    @crazyfeathers, my new girls (16 total) are hit and miss with the nesting boxes. I've got one or two who prefer the floor and one, a Rhode Island Red, who is still flight-sized and bops over a tall partial wall that separates the coop area from an adjoining stall. (She uses the roost as a spring board.) She's arranged a pile of leftover hay into a nice nest and lays her beauties there. Of course, she lays in the morning after I've gone to work and since there's no roost to give her a boost back over the wall, she's stuck until I get home To keep her from starving to death, I've taken to leaving water and food in her "nest" stall. Silly hen. I really think she does this to get away from the Emmett, my hormone-charged rooster. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by