Be careful of plastic bowls around chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gimmie birdies, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had baby chicks and was using a plastic dish that my potato salad comes in from the store as a food dish. one of the babies stood on the rim and it flipped on top of her. She didn't survive. now I use heavier bowls that cannot flip. I use a large plastic rectangle tub to put their water in. the same thing happened to a large hen, she survived. Now I weigh it down with rocks. Recently I had a large empty gardening bucket that had contained a tree flip, upon my favorite hen Fancy Nancy. whom I did lose.[​IMG] I have moved all buckets from the chicken pen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That is good advice - thank you for posting!!

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    That is good advice.

I only use feeder and waterers that are marketed as poultry feeders. They're not expensive, and they work really well. Thus far, I've never had a feed or water related injury or death.

4. thebitty

thebitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    I cut 5 gallon buckets in half for chicken water bowls

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    For water, I use 5 gallon buckets with nipples on the bottom, held up by sturdy rope and a good hook.

6. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses [​IMG] but good advice, also regarding your other post about taking pictures.

At the moment for the Silky and her chick I use an old rabbit bottle, and for food I use a small feeder in the picture which used to be used for the outer four until I bought larger ones.

[​IMG]

For the other four I use this water container, but the feeder went to the silkie and her chick (profile picture) because I now use one of four large chicken feeders I bought at a fur and feather auction yesterday (only £18 for all four) for the ones in this picture. The other three shall be used for my allotments.

[​IMG]

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I'm glad nobody here has had problems. thanks for commenting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by