Be careful what you wish for

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikkers390, Feb 23, 2014.

1. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, so I have to start from scratch. Bobcats have totally wiped me out.
    Beefed up the pens, coops and added electric wire. Hopefully this should do it.
    I have asked around for started pullets and now chicks are pouring in.
    My friends have given me more 1 to 3 week old babies than I can possibly use and that is not counting the chicks I bought. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for their generosity but 60 babies? Mostly barnyard mixes. And me? I can't say no to a gift. Besides who can refuse the tiny cheepy peeps?
    It will now be a matter of raising them, sexing them, selling or gifting the surplus ones. We don't eat our chickens.
    It is a good thing I love my chicks and have the good fortune to live in the country and have lots of room.
    So, I wish for started pullets and get a slew of fuzzy babies. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    I wish you and your ever-growing flock the best of luck! I am expecting my first babies next week, may I ask how the bobcat go to your flock? I know we have fox here, and I am certain bobs are around as well. I hope to keep ours from the same fate.

3. nikkers390

When my flock was free ranging, I noticed a bird missing now and then including 2 young geese and some Muscovy ducks. I got concerned and kept the birds in their pens. That is when we spotted the bobcat casing the pens.
    First time it got in the pen, it pried open the gate, came in with kittens and slaughtered 9 chickens.
    Gate got reinforced.
    Next time, it found a gap in my shade cloth cover, snatched a chicken and left with it the same way.
    We sealed all gaps.
    The next time it got it in, it dug under the fence. 2 dead chickens.
    We put down a wire skirt attached it to the fence and covered it with cement pavers.
    Then we installed electric wire (3 rows) and motion detector lights (waste of time and money)
    Then we noticed it tore a hole in the shade cloth cover. 4 dead ducks, 3 dead chickens.
    It climbed a tree next to the pens and bypassed the electric.
    Now we strung electric wire around the tree.
    If there is a weakness, they will find it.
    So far so good.
    Hate the suckers!
    Hope to have better luck with the new chicks.
    BTW the shade cloth was to keep hawks and owls out of the pens, not bobcats. Who knew?
    Thank you for the good wishes.
    Hate to feel these guys are smarter than us.

4. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    Whoa, that is a determined animal. They aren't smarter, you have just never looked at those birds as the only way to feed yourself and a litter of babies, therefore you do not spend most of your time finding a way in.

5. nikkers390

We have lots of woods: raccoons, rats, mice, squirrels birds of every description. Chickens and ducks are just EASY.
    If these cats were not out to eat all my poultry, I would probably enjoy seeing them, but now I just want them gone by any means available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by