Be responsible for your dogs !!!(graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by zchickens, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    [My neighbor (who lives half a mile away) lets his dogs roam freely all day long (even when not home). Rarely (at least this year) had they wondered into my acreage, until this morning. I had to come home early from work to take care of my sick daughter, only to find over half my flock dead(17 chickens dead) and one severly injured, with dead chickens and feathers scattered all over my front lawn. This happened in a timeframe of less than four hours. I lost a blue copper maran rooster (one other severly injured ...see pic below) , a splash maran hen (only one I owned), 3 banty brahmas, 1 ameracana - all of these I hatched from eggs sent to me in the mail as well as other chickens I received from hatcheries (orpingtons, polish, campine, silver penciled rock, cochins). I have never been so angry at the loss of animals before [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . Why can't people be responsible with their dogs, and not just let them roam free on other people's land!!!!! :thun My chickens had been free ranging for over two months prior to this, and I hadn't lost a single one until today (they get securely locked up every evening).

[​IMG]

My one blue cooper roo survived, but underneath the bandage he has no feathers or skin over half his neck, and some of the back of his skull is exposed. I pray that he will survive, but do to the size of the open wound, I doubt it

[​IMG]

I have never seen a barn with 19 chickens (the remainder of my flock) so errierly quiet. It is like the surviving chickens are all in shock. This is my first year of having chickens, and after dealing with the whole "AE" thing with my first batch of chickens, then this massacre, I don't know if I want to do this anymore. Maybe I need to go back to raising goldfish.....

Z

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I am so sorry that happened. I would have shot the dogs and the owner.! Did you contact the irresponsible owner? You need to make him pay for those poor chickens that lost their lives due to his lack of concern over his pets and what they do. That is terrible. [​IMG] :aww

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I'm so sorry-people can't imagine that THEIR dog would do such a thing. I guess your neighbor will know the truth soon

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm sorry this happened to you. If you are compensated for the lost chickens, I would recommend investing it in a nice run, and only allowing the chickens to free range when you are home to avoid a repeat of this tragedy.

5. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I would certainly find out from the local police what the laws are regarding someone's unleashed dog(s) coming onto your property and doing such serious damage to your flock.
    I'm very sorry your neighbors are so callous. [​IMG]

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I am so sorry for all your losses!! Please tell the owner of the dogs so that they can hopefully make amends, and be aware of the consequences of letting their dogs run loose. Now that those dogs have found a place to kill chickens, they will no doubt be back to get more [​IMG].
    Unfortunately with free ranging and not always being in a predator proof enclosure out where there are no leash laws adhered to, this is the heart breaking outcome.
    I pray your roo will be okay and the others will come out of their shock. I know you're discouraged and upset right now but hopefully you'll continue keeping chickens since you enjoy them so much.

7. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    I was only able to get a hold of the owner's kids (parents were out until late tonight) They told me their father would "take care of it" - not sure what that means - I will find out tomorrow :thun

Z

8. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    That is so sad. I am sorry about your loss. I hope the injured one survives.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Don't stop raising chickens.See what your rights are and take care of this.Then buy a shotgun and make sure it doesn't happen again.I don't let them freerange while I'm gone. Will

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I am saddened by your loss. I am speechless regarding your neighbor's disregard for his animals and yours.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by