Beagle Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KFox, Jul 18, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Our neighbor's dog has been over to our place a handful of times. We have three sides of our yard fenced. The fourth side isn't fenced completely--mostly because our animals don't go over that way. The very back part is fenced, but we stopped as we got closer to our house and barn because we are social with the neighbors on that side. He crosses into our yard when he mows diagonally or tills his garden. A fence would mess that up for him. Our animals don't go in his yard-mostly because the barn/driveway and other visual boundaries are over there. All the yummy shrubs/food treats and animal housing is on the other side of the yard.

For the past few weeks, a neighbor's beagle dog keeps coming here. She chases our chickens and makes me angry. I've taken her home a handful of times and so have my kids. My daughter took a leash, two food bowls, dog food, etc to "help" them keep her in their yard. I offered them a free dog kennel to lock her in when they leave. So we've been nice about it. The last time, I told the owner that the next time, it would be a bad day for all of us because I wasn't going to tolerate it anymore. My chickens are only out when I can watch them and they stay in their yard. They should feel safe in their own yard. I realize I'm putting them at risk - to some extent. If a chicken left my yard and got killed, my fault. If a hawk or owl swooped down, again, my fault. However, I don't feel like my chickens should have to be locked up when I'm out watching them. They are locked up if I leave or if I can't watch them and at night.

This morning, Beagle dog came back. I didn't see her at first, I just saw my chickens run out from behind the tree clucking and having fits. That's when I saw her...and she was chasing them biting the chickens in the rear, ripping feathers out. I ran out and snatched her up by the scruff. I put her in a crate and ran out to count my girls. I was missing three. I took out some cold melon to help them forget about the traumatic morning. I took my little game rooster to the middle of the yard to crow. Two came out of hiding right away. The third I had to go find. She had found a hidey-hole near the fence line and was shaking. I got her out and looked her over. Missing feathers and shock but no visible damage. I gave her treats and took her in my big barn. I opened the barn door and the coop so they could go to whichever felt safest to pull themselves together. Even with treats, the 14 of them were stressed and looking for their friends.

The stupid Beagle broke out of the crate and did it AGAIN! I had called animal control already and it had been over an hour. I called AC back and told them to disregard, I was going to handle it myself. Within minutes, AC was at my door--faster than I could get into the gun safe. They took her away.

I had to go search for my chickens again. I found them all. Some are missing feathers. I need to REALLY look them over once they calm down. They are hanging extra close to the barn and coop. A couple are hiding under the deck. All are walking, eating and drinking. However--I'm furious with my neighbor.

Do I call and let them know? Do I wait until they call around asking if anyone's seen their dog? I'm not quite sure what to do.

I was out there. I did my best to protect my chickens. I realize this is partly my fault for not having them enclosed. Part of me wants to put all of the blame on the dog owner though. MY chickens were outside under MY supervision. This should've never happened. I still don't want to lock them up. Several people on my street have dogs and chickens that co-exist just fine. My dogs do too. I have four and none of them would hurt a chicken. We only have one family in our neighborhood that ruins it for everyone else. I'm so tired and fed up.

2. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    heard a similar saying may not have it quite right. good fences make good neighbors sounds like you and your neighbor need to work out a compromise such as maybe a gate that can be opened and closed. Its hard to blame the animal when they arent in an enclosed area but thats my opinion.
    I have a dog and my chickens are in a pen. she was here first and has always had free run of the yard its not fair to her to change that when few safety measures have ensured the well being of my fethered friends.

3. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    The neighbors with the dog are about 1.5 miles away. Their property doesn't even touch ours. There is a cow field between. I guess we'll put the fencing up because we live within a two-mile radius of irresponsible morons.

4. Esmerelda

Esmerelda Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I know a lot of people think you should put a Fort Knox fence around your place, but we can't all do that.

If it were me, I would NOT tell the people anything. Let them look for the dog and have to pay for it. If it shows up again, repeat. In my own opinion, it needs to be unpleasant and expensive for them before they'll start being responsible.

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow! I'd tell your neighbors if & when they come looking for the dog the whole scenario. You've asked and warned, they did nothing, enough said. Don't know what state you are in but some states allow an owner to shoot anything that threatens the life of their livestock. Chickens are livestock. I'd say your were very humane in your actions. My husband would of pulled out his sidekick and solved the matter right on the spot! I also agree that you can't blame the dog, it's natural instinct to chase, especially for a beagle. They are hounds and they hunt. How is the dog to learn his parameters if the owners don't take action and try to teach him.

6. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    The owners won't go get her. They will get another dog because it's easier and cheaper.

7. Keeter

Keeter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm the guy that advertises a training library for teaching dogs not to kill chickens. But I'm not here to sell you anything...in fact, if you search around BYC for related threads, you'll find you can get my video library for free, as a member here.

But what I want to share is that we took into account that many times the problem is a neighbor dog and not your own. If you look at our home page www.stopchickenkillerdogs.com and scroll down to the very bottom, there is a printable .pdf that was made for these kinds of situations. It's a nice way to get the message to your neighbor that there is a solution available. You can either hand it to them, or tape it to their door and run. --grins

Good luck with whatever you elect to do.

--Bryan

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Wow - that is being a very bad dog owner - People like that are why they should have an animal-offender list

9. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    We have a beagle that we trained from the very beginning to leave the chickens alone. But we also have a fence to keep him IN our own yard, because he can't help himself with all the wonderful bunnies and smells outside the fence. If he ever got out, he would be at the mercy of his nose - and we would be responsible for what he got into.

I know it's not ideal, and you don't deserve the extra hassle and expense, but for your own peace of mind for your flock and animals, I would close up that fence.

10. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I would let them know and raise holly hell about it.
    If they dont know its a problem, then they wont be able to do anything about it.
    My neighbors dog nearly got shot until I told the owners it was chasing the sheep. They went and spoke to the farmer, and then no more problem.
    Its worth a try anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by