Beagles and chickens living happily with each other?

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I recently (as of this afternoon) adopted a beagle who is being transported from W virginia to MN. He was rescued from a high kill shelter who was going to sell him to a testing lab down the road. The rescue arranged for him to be transported here with several people in a few states to help with the foot work. He will be arriving here tomorrow evening after a 3 day roadtrip. I have done some research on the breed and understand they like to hunt things. He is 1 yr old and neutered. From what I have heard he is super sweet and loves to snuggle (right up my alley) However I can't help but to be concerned about how he is going to react with the chickens who roam free in the backyard that is fenced in. Anyone else out here have any tips, stories, experiences good and bad please feel free to weigh in. I know it's going to be a challenge and I am prepared for it. AM I kidding myself or could this possibly work?

This is barney, doesn't he just melt your heart!
10663_409129_10150501694093025_773163024_8744410_1082022764_n.jpg

He is so cute! I love Beagles I have an almost 7 year old Beagle boy named Tank. He is so interested in my chickens. He barks at them every time I let them out of the coop in the morning. I have never let him play with the chickens off leash just because they are still sort of a new thing. He is an indoor lazy dog, unless its a rabbit chasing day which are few and far between now do to a mysterious spinal issue Tank has. I think with proper introduction and gentle reminders that it can be done. But not knowing just how your new boy was treated or how he was trained it might be a bit of a challenge at first. But they are such loving dogs and fun to watch when then their noses hit the ground. lol

This is my Tank
107094_my_phone_pics_017.jpg

We have a puggle which is a hybrid pug and beagle. His nose is always to the ground and his hunting instinct is always on. If it moves he will chase it. When it comes to the chickens he couldn't care less. From the day I brought the chicks home he has ignored them. At most he would sniff them and then walk away. I bring him into the run every morning when I let the girls out and they pay more attention to him than he does to them . When they are free ranging he hangs out with them and follows them around. Now our Great Dane on the other hand will chase them and loves to go after them any chance she gets. She can not be off leash when they are free ranging. Very good looking Beagle by the way. They are awesome dogs.

He is super cute.

A few of my dogs have severe separation anxiety. One - who is 9 - is on meds. We have had him evaluated by several vets and trainers and no one can fix him. It's sad but he does well on the happy pills. For all of our dogs I always give them a treat when I leave and nothing when I come back. That way me leaving seems like a 'happy' time and coming home is no big deal.

For walking him you may want to try a harness. Because of the pulling until they choke and potential spinal issues that beagles are prone to have all of the vets we have seen have told us to not walk our beagles on a collar and leash. They walk on a harness and leash so if they pull they don't choke or put pressure on their neck or back. And if I use a coupler I can walk four of them at the same time (you'd have to see that to believe it).

highfive.gif
Oh my! Furby is still collecting love. Maybe Roscoe thinks it is a voice of authority... Did it fall on his pumpkin head and then start talking to him? LOL GREAT training tool.

Those Beagle eyes and ears have a way of melting your heart. I hate medicating animals as well but I think in this case it might be a good thing. I have to give Tank benadryl on the 4th of July. He freaks out and chews on his crate. He chewed it so bad his gums were bleeding. If Roscoe is chewing because he is nervous then it might be good for him so he can relax and maybe after a few days he will just become more relaxed and not need it any more. I have tried some all natural pet calm that didn't really help too much. Maybe adding some lavender in the room he is in might help him too.

hE'S A DOLL. I think it can work out, I'm sure the dog trainers among us will pitch in and give advice. I just don't think it's going to happen right off. First poor baby has to settle in and realize he has a permanent home, and people who love him. Once he feels secure about that, I think he will be more anxious to please you. He will need to be kept on a leash around the chickens and maybe his own dog run that will keep him in/ chickens out (no flyovers) .

How nice of your to give him a home.Do they tell you why his original owners gave him up?

Thank you Drumstick Diva! I know its not gonna happen overnight. It's gonna be a challenge and I am fully prepared for that. The previous owners dumped him off at the shelter because he dug under the fence. He got bored because they spent no time with him. I am home alot, I work part time. We have a chainlink dog kennel on our back patio on concrete (so he can't dig his way out) and we fully plan on having him on a leash for quite some time when we are outside. We also have a zip line set up so he can go into the yard a bit further but far away from the chickens whom also have a secure run attatched to their coop if I need to pen them up. He will be spoiled with love and affection by us. We also have 2 cats, one who is just a sweety to everyone he meets but the other is from a shelter and it is unknown if she is good around dogs or not. She also still has claws. This should be interesting.... lol

I adopted a 3 yr old beagle and he did not bother the chickens. I even had a crazy rooster who slept in the dog house with his two hens and the dog. He had a real issue with keeping his mouth off of ducklings though. Maybe being fuzzy like a stuffed animal made them too irresistable.

Back
Top Bottom