Beak Abscess? Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacobeth, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jacobeth

Jacobeth Chirping

Jun 10, 2013
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    I have read through several past threads. Some related issues seem to be a canker sore. But, my Delaware hen's issue seems somewhat worse. I noticed a couple days ago that her beak was curved extra long. When looking closer I saw the abscess/swelling (see images). It seems to have deformed her bottom beak to the side (almost like scissor beak). I don't know if the long curved top beak is a result of or caused the abscess. But, I imagine it's difficult to eat and potentially painful. If it's just a canker sore, I know there are OTC meds available. But, it seems worse than that. As far as the curved beak is concerned, I know I can trim it back. The abscess is my main concern.

Attached Files:

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have never seen anything like that. If you are sure it's an abscess and not a tumor, maybe try to bathe it a few times a day in very warm water with some epsom salts added? To see if you can get it to burst? It looks nasty. If she were mine, I'd want to give an antibiotic too..maybe Baytril if you can get it. ..She also looks like an older hen, I'm assuming she is and that is why the long beak? If you have the resource, you might want to conslut a vet.

Sequel and MilesFluffybutt like this.
  3. Jacobeth

Jacobeth Chirping

Jun 10, 2013
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Yes, she is 6 years old. She and her 3 sisters are still laying and seem very healthy. Her beak has not been this long until the growth that I just noticed last week. Although I care for my hens, I can't justify dropping $50 just to have a vet look at her. I'll have to try cleaning the sore. I wonder if I should try to drain it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does the beak have a bad odor? Can you look inside the beak for any yellow or grey cankers or patches? I am wondering if that might be some type of tumor. Can you try to trim the upper beak slightly, just a little at a time, with a pair of dog nail clippers? Canker, a protozoan illness carried by pigeons, is treated with metronidazole or Fish Zole available online. Dosage is 250 mg given orally daily for 5-6 days. But I would hold off until you are sure that it is canker.

chicknmania likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If you've had as much rain over the summer as we have had here, canker is a definite possibility although I've never seen it manifested that way. Look for yellow lesions in the mouth and throat, and bad smelling breath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: