Beak Clip Bleeding.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjdent, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I have a 6-7 month-old Australorp hen whose beak we decided to clip this morning. Many of the other hens we got this weekend have theirs clipped, and she was picking on them, so we tried it. I think we took off a little too much, or should have just filed it, but it's done now, so...... She's got a steady drip of blood coming from where it was clipped, and I picked up some kwik-stop specifically for birds, but am not sure whether I should use it. The bleeding has slowed just a tad on it's own, but it's been 3 hours. Please help.

2. wyattbaggett

wyattbaggett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I dont know much, but if i were you I would just block the bleeding right now.

3. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    If I were you I would use the Kwik-Stop before she loses too much blood... I'm afraid i've never used it on beaks, but it's always worked fine for me on nails, wings and combs.

4. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Well, it's stopped dripping now just using corn starch, so good deal. Thanks for the help.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Glad it stopped. I've done that same thing before. I used a dab of quick stop powder. It looks real bad because of the blood it usually looks worse than it is.glad everything is ok now

6. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    I have a pullet which has a longer lower beak and as a result she has trouble eating effectively. I trimmed a couple of weeks ago and it had grown out again so I trimmed again yesterday. Unfortunately I am the worst trimmer ever and quick dog nails etc. The poor pullet had blood dripping and since she was already underweight I thought she would go into shock. I tried to use cornstarch to seal but it was not working and was flowing again even after an hour. I went for a tube of superglue and held her beak open and put a dot on and let dry for a second. It did stop the flow and she is better today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by