Beak clipping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Waight, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Waight

Waight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    I've heard of clipping the wings on flighted birds but I was discussing my chicks with a cousin of mine and he suggested clipping their beaks. I don't really want to do that as it sounds like something that not only hurts the birds but has no real point. Am I missing something? Is this a common practice? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I did a little more research on it online and have come to the conclusion that I will never be asking for advice on the raising of my animals from my cousin ever again. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. cabinonalake

cabinonalake Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm a newbie, but from what I've read and learned "beak clipping" consists of cutting off half of the top portion of the brids beak. Apparently this is done to prevent cannibolism in the birds, however buying a red heat light works just the same (or so I've read).

3. Charleymitchell

Charleymitchell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    Don't debeak them! I heard they live in a lifetime of pain. Leave them the way god made them. Its cruel to do that in my book I would never do that to my chickens!

4. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    Oh jeeze :C I don't think I could do that to the girls :C. Is cannibalism a real problem with chickens?

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have never heard of a valid reason to debeak. I just dont see why a backyard flock would need to be debeaked. That is something you really need to research before ever even thinking about doing it.

6. Charleymitchell

Charleymitchell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I had 250 chickens and 16 turkeys 2 gooses and one duck and NEVER had that problem.

7. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    I don't want to do it, I love my birds too much. I was asking because I've never heard of the practice and my cousin lives and works on a ranch so when he told me about it I was like "What?!".

8. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Isn't that something mass chicken farms do so they don't peck each other to death during caging and transport? I would never do that ever, with enough room and food I see. I reason why birds in decent normal conditions would benefit from that.

9. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    I wasn't thinking of doing it to my own chickens because like I said, I see no real reason for it. I'm really just curious as to what y'alls opinions are because frankly, I've gotten more and better advice here than I've gotten from family that have had chickens in the past lol.

10. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    off topic a bit but are turkeys mean? I was thinking about getting one but I've gotten no clear answer on their temperment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by