Beak damage

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Hi there,

I posted this on an older thread of mine but figured it needs its own.

The upper layer of my chickens beak fell off a couple of weeks ago. It was super sensitive and she couldn't eat for a few days but now seems to be doing better. (Attaching pics of this event)

The beak now has many dark spots. What are the dark spots? It was lightly bleeding on the side after the top "shell PXL_20221015_233307576.MP.jpg PXL_20221015_234427738.MP.jpg PXL_20221029_193308819.jpg PXL_20221029_193251709.jpg " came off.

However, now the upper layer seems to be peeling off, from tip to top. It obviously hasn't been long enough to grow a new layer yet so I am very concerned about her losing more of her beak. I am attaching pics of what this looks like.

Advice?

Ouchie. I don't know.
8m just curious if she is eating well and if you know what happened to cause the break?

Ouchie. I don't know.
8m just curious if she is eating well and if you know what happened to cause the break?
She's recovering from surgery and sour crop, and then this. So she's eating but still adjusting to eating from everything that's happened this far. I hesitate to say she's eating well because that's not necessarily tied to the beak injury.
When I initially put her back in her flock, she was bullied which caused this. :(

I haven’t experienced a beak injury, but that could be old blood underneath the top layer. Here is a good thread about a beak injury that healed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ok-pictures-warning-its-a-bit-graphic.847112/
I just read that. The pics wouldn't open though so wasn't sure if it was similar. With it now peeling back, I did put coconut oil on it. No idea if that will help.
I seriously underestimated just how hard chickens are to keep! They are so fragile.

She's recovering from surgery and sour crop, and then this. So she's eating but still adjusting to eating from everything that's happened this far. I hesitate to say she's eating well because that's not necessarily tied to the beak injury.
When I initially put her back in her flock, she was bullied which caused this. :(
Oh my goodness, Maybelle has had the WORST time! It almost looks like maybe her tender little beak is healing, but the tip of it may be flaking from her pecking.

Poor girl!

Oh my goodness, Maybelle has had the WORST time! It almost looks like maybe her tender little beak is healing, but the tip of it may be flaking from her pecking.

Poor girl!
Yes...I cleaned it up but then she ate and it started to bleed a bit again at the top.

Poor Maybelle. How are you feeding her? If you aren't already, can you add water to make a mash out of her food? I would also put it in a smaller but deeper dish so she doesn't have to peck the bottom of the dish to eat. Hopefully it will start healing soon! I imagine it feels a lot like having a fingernail ripped off😟

Poor Maybelle. How are you feeding her? If you aren't already, can you add water to make a mash out of her food? I would also put it in a smaller but deeper dish so she doesn't have to peck the bottom of the dish to eat. Hopefully it will start healing soon! I imagine it feels a lot like having a fingernail ripped off😟
It doesn't actually seem to bother her. She's eating her crumble out of a small deep dish.

Back
Top Bottom