beak deformity on button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmother, Jan 5, 2014.

1. quailmother

quailmother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    one of my adult female button quails has an unusual bump on top of her upper beak. for lack of a better description , it is similar to a rhinoceros horn. it started out looking like a seed stuck on beak, when i went to brush off seed, i realized it is attached.
    i took her to the avian vet. the vet had never seen anything like that.
    a button quail breeder suggested it was a canker. he couldn't really tell looking at the pic i sent him.
    another bird expert said to cover it with triple antibiotic ointment.
    it is dark colored, same as her beak. but there was a color change at the tip of the bump. it looked like a pimple. i scratched the white part, it didn't hurt her. most of the white bump scratched off, but to my surprise it seemed to have a "woody" texture.
    now it is a smaller defect. the vet said it does have a vascular attachment, so she doesn't want to risk anesthetizing her for a removal of the bump.
    it does not appear to hurt her. all of her other functions, eating, droppings or laying eggs are normal.
    any suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It might help if you posted a pic here.

However if she seems to be happy, healthy, can eat, drink, dust bathe and enjoy life as is, I wouldn't worry about it until it starts to interfere with her life.

3. quailmother

Oct 15, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hi,
    i will attempt to upload 2 pictures of the deformed beak. i am not too computer literate, so i can't always upload photos.
    the ones of i have are blurry. buttons are pretty squirmy![​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. quailmother

Oct 15, 2012
    hi, thanks for the suggestion. i will try to upload the 2 pictures i have of her beak. as you might know, buttons are squirmy and the pics are blurry.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have always followed the adage, "when in doubt, if it isn't broken, don't fix it". LOL So as long as she is going about her business with no illness related to her beak condition, I wouldn't do anything. Doing something could cause all sorts of issues.

Good luck with your baby!

6. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    i currently have two corturnix with the same issue. bad genetics have given them tumours. the lady i bought them off had one with tumour die so we did a necropsy on it and the bird was full of tumours. hopefully yours isnt that bad. mine are both hens, one has passed on (snake attack) and the other is still around. i can see if i can get a photo in the morning to compare if you wish?

7. quailmother

Oct 15, 2012
    hello,
    sorry to hear about your bird with tumors. i am learning genetics play a big part in the cause of deformities, i have 2 young zebra finches that hatched here at my home. the two can not fly. they also have one foot with no toenails and the other foot is normal. they each have the same foot issue as well as the no-flight. i do have separated "families" of zebras,but i took all possible nesting places out of the cage to be sure there is no more possibility of inbreeding. the little finches are in their own cage. they seem bonded and happy, but i don't want to risk getting any more babies that may have genetic problems or hens who are hatching too frequently.
    yes i would like to see your pic of the cothurnix. how weird that birds get tumors from possible genetic issues.
    i bought 2 buttons and the breeder sent me a free third bird. of the 3 , one has died, one has the tumor and the third one gets her feathers pulled out when she is with the others. so she is in her own cage not a good winter for quail in my house:(
    thank you for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by