Beak discoloration and pealing

DIYpeeps

Hatching
Jun 7, 2016
Help! I'm a newbee and I've noticed a couple of my young birds have something wrong with their beaks. I have searched the internet to no avail :( They are basque chickens, approximately 12 weeks old. At first, I thought the discoloration was just a characteristic of the breed, but now Dahlia's beak is pealing! Anyone know what this is and how to treat it? Thank you!!

I don't think so. I have a buff orpington that has been in the enclosure for several weeks longer than the basque chicks, and now she is starting to show discoloration on her beak too. BTW, I got both of my basques at the Glen Allen swap and they both have this. That is why I initially thought it was breed specific. I have never seen a buff with this, and the peeling is definitely concerning. :(

Hello DIYpeeps,
The picture here of your hen's beak looks like what I'm seeing now in my hens! They are about 4 1/2 months old and I'm noticing this white area that is peeling. They are otherwise acting OK. I'm hoping you can tell me what happened with your chicken and if you ever found out what the white peeling was. I'm desperate for information and I can't seem to find much in my searches. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom