Beak Injury - cracked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulB, Oct 17, 2011.

1. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    This morning I heard one of the chickens make a loud noise, but didn't see anything concerning when I looked out. Went out to do their water and found our 6 month amberlink with a discolored beak, cracked and some blood. What, if anything can I do to help her? She doesn't seem to be in pain.

[​IMG]

2. Turken Lover9847

Turken Lover9847 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just leave it alone and keep a close eye on it .

3. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thanks. We cleaned it up. Not sure how it happened.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Ow! I'll bet that hurts like crazy. Keep a close eye on that. The discoloration in the beak looks a little ominous.

Could something have fallen on her? Or could she have caught it on the feeder? I would be checking my feeders over for catchy edges if I were you. Some of the metal feeders can have sharp edges. A few years back there were pics of a duck on here who lost most of its bill to a metal feeder. Sliced clean through both top and bottom. I don't know what the end result of that problem was, but I suspect the bird didn't make it. Right after that several folks here were replacing metal feeders with plastic. Do you have a metal feeder?

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I've had a few hens that somehow cracked their beaks, just keep a close eye on her, clean it up, put some vasilene on it and it she should be fine.

6. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    No, we have a plastic feeder. I think she may have went after a bug and pecked the wood frame of the run too hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by