beak injury, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Corgihome, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Corgihome

Corgihome Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    Today I got home from work to find my rooster's beak damaged.he is 1 1/2 yrs old free range. It's the upper beak. He tried picking up scratch grains to no avail. Any ideas on how I can help him. He is a very good rooster our other roo is way to submissive to protect my free range hens.[​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    If he is bleeding be sure to separate him. Putting a little bit of cornstarch on it will help to stop bleeding if there is any.

4. Corgihome

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you both. He isn't bleeding it's just really raw. I've got antibiotic ointment i can put on it. My biggest concern is eating and drinking. He is not a candidate for tube feeding while he heals, as he really despises being handled.

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Set him up with a pan/tray of sorts elevated on a cinder block so that way he can "scoop" his feed into his mouth. Same thing with water...that should help til he heals...keep us updated! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Corgihome

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks

7. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You're quite welcome...poor guy...hopefully he mends quickly and is "back at it" in the chicken yard!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BlueJayFarm

BlueJayFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Boring, Oregon
    Hey, I hope your rooster got better. Can you give us an update? My cockerel just got an injury like that so now I have to learn all about beak injuries.. :( The piece is missing, like yours, not hanging on.

9. Corgihome

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks for asking. It hasn't grown back yet. But he's eating now. I think he'll be fine.

10. BlueJayFarm

BlueJayFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Boring, Oregon
    Thanks for the response! My poor cockerel looks like that, though maybe a tiny bit not as bad. I looked for the part that broke off in case I could glue it back on but it is nowhere to be found. The break is jagged so I guess I'll have to file it when it heals a little more. I just don't know what to expect with how it heals. What happened to the exposed "quick" of your rooster's beak after a couple days? Did it dry up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by