1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Beak injury* What should I do? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandbellie, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi,
    One of my hens beak was wayyyy over grown on the bottom, and it seemed like it was hard for her to eat. So I went to trim her beak today, and I cut it a little too short and it started bleeding slightly. Will I need to put something on it or make sure it stops bleeding? Or will she be okay just to be back outside again? [​IMG]

I feel really bad! I hope I didn't hurt her too much [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks.

Edited to add.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You did correct thing and she should feed and drink immediately. Process will likely need to be repeated on a regularly basis.

4. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The beak looks okay now. Just a little bit of dry blood on the tip. She's eating and everything. So I think its all good.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Depending on nature of problem, you will have to periodically repeat process. Otherwise she will begin to have problems feeding and drinking. I suspect the real problem is with the upper part of the beak. Ideally the upper and lower rub each other in a very specific manner to regulate each others shape. Does the upper appear short or mishapen relative to beaks of your other birds?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  6. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Depending on nature of problem, you will have to periodically repeat process. Otherwise she will begin to have problems feeding and drinking. I suspect the real problem is with the upper part of the beak. Ideally the upper and lower rub each other in a very specific manner to regulate each others shape. Does the upper appear short or mishapen relative to beaks of your other birds?

The only reason her beak was over growing on the bottom was because she came from a hatchery. The hatchery didn't do a very good job when they clipped her beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by