Beak Injury

ChickensoftheHill

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
Does this look like a severe enough injury that I need to do the glue/tea bag treatment? I found it pretty quick after it happened, I think and my suspicion is she caught it on a sharp end of the wiring we have around the run. This was around 3pm and she tried but couldn't eat or drink when the wound was fresh. I sprayed it with Vetericyn and she just wanted to rest on my lap. Her tail was down, so I know she's in pain, poor thing. I sat with her until she went in for bed and plan to go down first thing in the morning to observe and determine treatment. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

9 month old Brahma named Lady

I'm a newbie to chickens. This is my first flock.

Attachments

• ladybeak1.jpg
    ladybeak1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9
  • ladybeak3.jpg
    ladybeak3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 3
  • ladybeak2.jpg
    ladybeak2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 3
That looks pretty painful, and it may be a challenge to get fluids and food into her over the next few days until it feels better. Is a vet possible who might help? Does the beak move like it could be cracked, or does it seem that the top layer is injured? I don’t have any experience with beak injuries, but I would try to offer her water from a deep waterer, and try crumbles and wet chicken feed made into a an oatmeal consistency.

Back
Top Bottom