beak injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wahmommy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Tonight i looked in on my hens (I only have 2 EEs, about 4 months old) in my coop, and they were in separate nest boxes (usually they liked to snuggle up together in one of them). Anyway, one of my EEs has a bloody spot on the top of her beak about half way down. I don't know how this happened, they were fine when I put them back in their coop around 4pm - I take them out of their coop and put them in a tractor for most of the day. Anyway, I don't know how the injury happened, or even what to do about it... anyone have any ideas? Should I separate them?

The only other thing was that their waterer was knocked over. So now I don't know if the other hen pecked her (we haven't had any henpecking that I have noticed) or if something scared them and she hit her beak....

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    does it look like a big scrape? our chicks get those all the time from hitting their beaks on the fencing, and somtimes pecking each other. It's really nothing to be worried about, if it IS what I'm thinking [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No way I would separate them unless I just had to, to keep the injured one from being pecked badly. I'd clean off the blood and try to hide it, maybe use a styptic pencil or bit of flour or something.

4. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks for responding, that makes me feel better - i just went out there (the sun is just coming up, figured if it was dark there wouldn't be anything going on so I left them together last night) and took her out to have a better look. Turns out it is our bigger hen, who also lost the very tip of her top beak mysteriously a couple of weeks ago. It hadn't kept her from eating or anything, so I was just hoping it would grow back. Anyway, the bloody spot on the middle of her beak wasn't bleeding anymore, so I just put some neosporin on it, checked the rest of her, and put her back in the run with the other hen and fed them some laying pellets. She ate fine, so I'm hoping its not that serious.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goose cut his bill back in the summer don't know how he did it either, but he never watches where he's going, It healed without any intervention from me. Hope yours does the same.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I had one of my hens break about 1/2 " of the tip of her top beak and it has grown back completely. I did not take long. I would look at your feeders and waterer. Are that the galvanised type? Some of theses are very sharp inside and that could have caused the injury. I bought one once and took it back immediately since the metal was very sharp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by