beak injury

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shellzba, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Shellzba

Shellzba Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Rockaway, NJ
    I don't know what happened to my 5 month old hen overnight but when I went to check on them this morning she looks like something tried to grab her by the head. Her eye is all a mess and her beak is broken up pretty bad. she seems to not be able to see out of the eye and is very lethargic. Is there anything I can do to help her.. she's not eating or drinking and doesn't want to come out of her box. she's ok when I hold her but just kind of lays there on my lap. when I try to look at the injury to her beak she pulls away. there isn't much blood at all. Any thoughts?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Thats sad! do you lock the chickens up at night? some predator got her. other hens dont fight at night, because they cant see in the dark. Best way to do keep her face clean from dirt she will heal. as for the eye, I am not sure what to do, hope someone chimes in!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey, Shellzba...sorry to hear about your hen. I think maybe if you post over in Raising BackYard Chickens Forum under Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases & Cures, you might get some better advice. Sounds like she may need a vet. Hope it works out!

4. Shellzba

Shellzba Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Rockaway, NJ
    her beak is so broken up I almost cried.. they are locked up at night when I went to let them out in the morning I was in a hurry so I just opened the door and let them out into the pen.. sometimes they don't all come out when I open the door so I didn't think anything of it. I went back to check on them about an hour later and pick up the eggs and I found her in a nesting box all beat up. I'm going to take a picture of her beak when I get back home and post maybe someone has an idea. Will it grow back?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] It is possible to "fix" the beak, depending on the severity. Post in the Emergencies and Diseases section and ask there? In the meantime try and get some food and water into her, even if you have to use a syringe. Good luck!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, sorry to hear about your hen. Hope you can fix her beak, good luck.

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

sorry to hear about your hen. i hope she heals up OK

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Do try posting in the Emergencies section. Lots of good luck with her :fl

9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by