BEAK Keratin

2tonefarm

Hatching
Nov 26, 2022
This has happened to 80% of 2 different batches of chicks/keets/turkeys in the last 18 months. We treat them for cocci and they have a small bit of blood on their nasal passages. After that the blood dries out and it's almost as if the keratin in the mid beak dies. 1-2 lose half the upper beak, but most stay looking like this into adult hood. They thrive after this, but aren't profitable for sale. Any ideas what it is? I literally can't find anything in search.
20221117_203810-01.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

What do you feed parent stock?

Where are you located in the world?

What are you using to treat for Coccidiosis - name of medication, dosage and duration?

What do you feed the chicks?

How are they housed, fed and watered?

Additional photos are always welcome.

Thanks! I'm located in Northern Texas.

Parent stock is fed an 18% non hmo layer pellet. bagged by our local mill. Chick's get 20% Dumor chick starter. They're housed inside until their feathers come in, then are moved to hanging cages, in our brooder barn. Cages are individually heated.

We've treated mostly with Corrid. I treated this batch with the high dose 5 day treatment, and then a second round about a week later. The second time I used the 21 day dose, but only treated for 8 days.

Our farm has switched to Toltrazuril for cocci treatment, but this batch of chick's/keets received corrid.

They do get over the cocci, but then have beaks that wither away. This is only 2 batches out of about 30 per year that this has happened to.

Thanks!

I just wanted to add that they are not picking on one another. They've been observed for long periods of time. Also, they're housed in rat proof wire, so their beaks aren't being chewed.
20221117_203808-01.jpeg
20221117_203646-01.jpeg
20221117_203532-01.jpeg

I would wonder if their beaks are not being damaged by the wire they are on. I’m not sure they can eat, drink, and survive with some of those beak injuries. I would consider changing to Purina or Nutrena chick starter. The Dumor is well balanced and should have enough calcium and phosphorus in it for beak health, but if they are not damaging their beaks on the wire, I would switch. I also would place plywood and bedding over the wire floor, so they cannot poke their beaks into it. Just a thought, could rats pick at them through the wire? The one pic shows some damage on the neck.

I've seen this kind of beak injury before with an old neighbor who kept their chicks on wire flooring. Food would fall throw or they would see something below, try to peck at it through the wire floor and damage their beak. In the picture it looks like the floor is double layered which creates even smaller gaps and increases the chance of the chicks not being able to pull their beak cleanly back through the holes.

We've treated mostly with Corrid. I treated this batch with the high dose 5 day treatment, and then a second round about a week later. The second time I used the 21 day dose, but only treated for 8 days.
I agree, it looks more like injury than disease or deficiency to me.

You may want to consider making some adjustments to their housing to see if that makes any difference.
If the problem continues, then it would be worth sending in a few chicks for diagnostics to your state lab. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/➡-necropsy-and-disease-testing-state-lab-website-info.1236884/

I'm not quite certain what the high dose 5 day treatment or 21 day dose is for Amprolium.
If you are using the chart(s) on the Corid website, that dosing is for cattle not poultry.

For Poultry, Corid 9.6% liquid solution is given for 5-7 days. Dosage is 9.5ml (2tsp) per gallon of water.
Corid 20% powder is also given 5-7 days at a rate of 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water.
The mixed water should be the only source of drinking water.
Don't add any Extra supplements, vitamins, etc. to the water or feed that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

Toltrazuril is also a good treatment for Coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom